No, that's not a mistake...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

No, that's not a mistake...

Post by Tiberius »

There are lots of mistakes in Star Trek. Why did phaser fire come from the forward photon torpedo tube? Why is it that Klingon blood was purple in ST6, but red everywhere else?

But, I lay down a challenge! Can you take a mistake from Star trek, and explain why it's not a mistake after all?

The writers themselves have done this in their explanation of the Klingon foreheads. But can we explain the others?

Have at it!
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Humans 'evolving' into salamanders when they go fast enough.

Discuss.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Royalty blue blod.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The pink(it was that pink stuff you drink when you're) Klingon Blood was actually because of the lighting has strange effects on Klingon Blood in zero-G.

The phaser fire was from a placeholder thing that moves into place after the last torpedo is fired so that the tube isn't useless.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Humans 'evolving' into salamanders when they go fast enough.
Easily explained: we're just a lot lower on the evolutionary scale than we thought. Newts aren't any higher than before; we just started lower.

As to why evolution occurs instantaneously at warp 10 - err...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

evolution is based on stresses to organisms. Humans in our natural environment would not evolve the same as humans in a sci-fi setting. Maybe humans evolved into salamanders because of the forces of going to warp 10 an amfibian life form has a better chance of surviving that environment.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

true, Monroe. The path that the evolution of the human species will take has not been mapped. It is open and flexible.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's not the 'turning into a salamander' bit I have a problem with. It's the 'go a certain speed and you evolve' and the 'it takes about an hour to progress millions of years along the evolutionary ladder' bits that I hate. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not to mention the problems of "evolution within a single generation" stupidity and Tom Paris: Time Lord.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, there's that too. :)
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:It's not the 'turning into a salamander' bit I have a problem with. It's the 'go a certain speed and you evolve' and the 'it takes about an hour to progress millions of years along the evolutionary ladder' bits that I hate. :)
During the Transwarp flight the stuff that makes you evolve goes faster. Usually this takes generations because the average person's genes may change 5% at most in their life time, which affects any kids they may have. The changes are usually minor, maybe different hights or something. But the Transwarp flight accelerated this and you get Tommy the Salamander.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Evolution has nothing to do with changes during your lifetime - it's a process of survival of the fittest, not a predetermined path. What Threshold depicts is a mutation
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

During the Transwarp flight the stuff that makes you evolve goes faster.
Then shouldn't he just evolve during the flight, rather than coming back and have it start a few hours later? And why did it stop at the salamander-stage?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It stopped there because Seafort is right - a mutation is only a mutation. Without a few generations to test out the advantage or disadvantage of said mutation, no evolution occurs.

Now with THAT being said, a mutation can't change your entire genome at once - into a completely differnet phylum, no less!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

D'oh, missed Seafort's post. :oops: