Post by T'Pau »

Klingon Bird of Prey from Star Trek III and IV
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Re: Most Aesthetically Pleasing Ship

Post by mwhittington »

Nebula-class was always my favorite, but then my favorite airplane is the A-10 Warthog because it's ugly in an awesome way.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Never liked the Connie as it looks unbalanced.
You've been saying that for the past decade.

I'll say the same thing I have for the past decade - the refit-Connie is the most beautiful ship in sci-fi.
Saying that again doesnt change anything. It just makes you wrong again :P
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Teaos wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Never liked the Connie as it looks unbalanced.
You've been saying that for the past decade.

I'll say the same thing I have for the past decade - the refit-Connie is the most beautiful ship in sci-fi.
Saying that again doesnt change anything. It just makes you wrong again :P
Let me guess your favorite Sci-Fi Ship:

*<:*)X
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

My favorite Federation ships in this order:
1. AGT Galaxy class
2. Sovereign class
3. Constitution refit
4. TNG Galaxy class
5. Kumari class

Non Fed ships:
1. Klingon bird of prey
2. Vor'Cha class
3. D'Deridex class
4. Scimitar class
5. DS9 as it is Cardassisn by design
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Man, I forgot the Miranda class...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I kind of like the idea behind ENT style Vulcan ships.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Teaos wrote:I kind of like the idea behind ENT style Vulcan ships.
I kind of like the fact they seems to be supported by science :D
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It was distinctive with out being gimiky.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Still love the Movie Enterprise. Such a beautiful ship. Makes no sense whatsoever with the skinny neck and pylons and deep concave thing in the underside of the saucer. Whatever
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The only thing that bugs me about the refit Connie is that it doesn't make any sense as what it is - a refit of the Connie. There's just no sensible way you could rebuild the TOS ship into the TMP one.

I always thought that the Phase 2 design made a lot more sense in that regard.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well yeah it's been well established that the refit Connie has very little in common structurally with the original. At best I think of is the ship was slowly torn apart refit piecemeal as a sort of a prototype for new technology. That the Mirandas are new built ships and the E-A was a built from keel up as a refit originally the Yorktown.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Honestly I am always tempted to thing of it as a Ship of Theseus.

In fact suppose that Starfleet originally intended to replace, say, a third of the ship. But as they got into the project, they kept finding new structural issues and such that required them to replace even more... and new tech kept coming out of R&D that meant it would make sense to replace even more... so like the Ship of Theseus it literally did wind up being a completely new ship. Only because that was never the original intention they thought it was better to just call it a huge upgrade rather than admit that they basically screwed up the refit.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Honestly I am always tempted to thing of it as a Ship of Theseus.

In fact suppose that Starfleet originally intended to replace, say, a third of the ship. But as they got into the project, they kept finding new structural issues and such that required them to replace even more... and new tech kept coming out of R&D that meant it would make sense to replace even more... so like the Ship of Theseus it literally did wind up being a completely new ship. Only because that was never the original intention they thought it was better to just call it a huge upgrade rather than admit that they basically screwed up the refit.
I agree. I think that's what they did with the USS Enterprise from Star Trek The Motion Picture (Which I tend to think of it as called Star Trek The Movie or Star Trek The First Movie, as it was basically the same thing).

It is described exactly on this page: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/USS_E ... er_service

In 2270, following the completion of Kirk's historic five-year mission, the Enterprise returned to Earth. Originally the ship was going to be decommissioned and dismantled after returning to Earth, but the high profile of the nature of the ship and her crew led Starfleet to reverse that decision.

However, the Enterprise was still 25 years old by 2270. Despite undergoing several refits over the years, it became apparent that the technology on the ship was becoming outdated, and that a major refitting of the Enterprise would be required. During the final days of Kirk's historic five year mission, new warp technology was being perfected, and Starfleet's Corps of Engineers decided that the Enterprise would be an ideal test-bed for the new technology. When the ship arrived at Earth, she was put into dry dock for this major refit, which would take eighteen months to complete. (TOS movie, novelization & comic adaptation: The Motion Picture)

The original warp nacelles were replaced with newer and larger units. When it was found that the original pylons would not support the weight of the new nacelles, nor would they be large enough to house the plasma transfer conduits, they were also replaced. A new matter/anti-matter reactor was placed in the secondary hull. The impulse engine deck at the rear of the primary hull was switched out during the refit.

The exterior navigational deflector was replaced with an internal unit, and a new photon torpedo launching system was added to the connector between the primary and secondary hulls. This updated torpedo deployment method channeled propulsion directly from the matter/antimatter intermix. The bridge module was replaced with a new unit, and the original bridge module was taken and placed on board the USS Yorktown. (TNG novel: Crossover, novelization : "Relics") Docking ports were added at various points to allow secondary craft - such as shuttlecraft and travel pods - to dock with the Enterprise without needing to enter the shuttle bay.

When it was found that the main computer would not be powerful enough to handle the new technology - especially the new warp systems, it was replaced. During the course of the refit, Romulan spies managed to infect the new computer systems with a Trojan Horse virus, which was discovered and removed from the computer systems just before the ship launched. It was operated by Mark VII multitronic software. (TOS short story: "Night Whispers")

As the refit of Enterprise neared completion, Starfleet decided not to paint the hull with the customary thermocoat that had been applied to vessels previously. Engineers offered to paint the hull of the Enterprise following the final outfitting, but Admiral Kirk declined, preferring the appearance of the Enterprise without the thermocoat. In fact, on the whole this new look was so favorably received that Starfleet eliminated thermocoats from all ships displacing 90,000 metric tons and above.

Command of the ship during the refit was given to Captain Willard Decker, who remained with the Enterprise throughout the entire refit process. (TOS reference: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise; "Enterprise Logs"; TOS novel: Ex Machina)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Alot of that woukd have been done through the computer. I highly doubt they just slapped stuff on it and realized crap it doesn't work without doing other stuff to make it work.

I think they basically disassembled the whole ship and recycled the material in rebuilding it. Maybe the very core of the ship is still there. The big problem is the saucer. It's shape is just too different from the original.