Most Aesthetically Pleasing Ship

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Most Aesthetically Pleasing Ship

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I think they basically disassembled the whole ship and recycled the material in rebuilding it. Maybe the very core of the ship is still there. The big problem is the saucer. It's shape is just too different from the original.
There's probably more of the ship still there than some historical refits. Look at the likes of Conte di Cavour, Ise, Courageous and their sisters. In a lot of cases you'd be hard-pushed to recognise them as the same ships pre- and post-refit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

In my headcanon, there were going to be 3 new designs: Oberth, Miranda, Excelsior. Just before production began, Admiral Kno-wi'tall walked into the Excelsior offices and said "Transwarp. Make it happen." They needed a stopgap cruiser and would never get another design approved, so based a heavy cruiser on the new Miranda with just enough hull plates and structural supports from the old ships to justify calling it a refit. Explains why it's so similar to the Miranda and why we never saw them later (they were always meant to be temporary).

All that said, it is an absolutely gorgeous ship.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

DonP wrote: based a heavy cruiser on the new Miranda
:confused:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I think they basically disassembled the whole ship and recycled the material in rebuilding it. Maybe the very core of the ship is still there. The big problem is the saucer. It's shape is just too different from the original.
There's probably more of the ship still there than some historical refits. Look at the likes of Conte di Cavour, Ise, Courageous and their sisters. In a lot of cases you'd be hard-pushed to recognise them as the same ships pre- and post-refit.
The Italian rebuilds were pretty involved to be sure. Bored out guns, new bow, new anti torpedo sides, whole new superstructure so forth. But if you look at the interior cross section of the ship, they were still largely the same ship.

I always thought of the major American submarine rebuilds post WW2 to be more comparable to the Connie refit. Those subs were cut in half, put a plug in, bow was rebuilt, major internal restructuring etc.

USS Midway is another one that looks nothing like what she was when she was first rebuilt.

You could also argue that the USS West Virginia is more like Refit Connie. As in an older class of ship from a previous generation that was rebuilt heavily to be very comparable to a modern ship of the time. West Virginia was aside from lacking a 16" gun and was several knots slower was very similar to the newer South Dakota class and even looked like one. It could be argued the ship had better anti torpedo protection because it had a wider beam post refit than a South Dakota
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"