"Defend the Indefensible"

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

"Defend the Indefensible"

Post by Bryan Moore »

Here's your challenge: Defend one particular aspect of Star Trek that you absolutely love despite the fact that for whatever reason, is completely utter crap. This could be a favorite episode that everyone hates, a character that you think is great but was critically hammered, a particular YATI that doesn't bother you but other people dig in, etc. Have fun!

A few of my own:

Data "maturing" on the Enterprise. The dude was in Starfleet for HOW many years but still doesn't understand basic human slang. He seemed to advance more in the first three to four years of TNG than in his previous 25. Totally ridiculous and contrived, but watching him grow was great fun.

Rascals: I don't care HOW bad this episode is in retrospect and how badly they 'effed up the reverse aging transporter physics - this episode was GREAT fun for me as a kid (who was 10 when the episode premiered) and I still enjoy watching it when I do my yearly TNG go-around on Netflix/DVD. I'm a few episodes away from getting to this now and I know I'll like it again for however ridiculous it is.

Star Trek V: This set forth my unbroken streak of watching Trek on the big screen upon it's premiere. It is utter garbage and filled with more inconsistencies than the Trump administration, and yet for more reasons of nostalgia, there are scenes in that movie I still absolutely love.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Defend the Indefensible"

Post by Graham Kennedy »

William Shatner's acting.

I don't care what anybody says, Shatner is a GOOD actor. Yes, Kirk has that slightly weird habit of pausing during his speech. I think that makes it look unscripted. Let's face it, nobody actually speaks in perfectly thought out language all the time! I think Shatner's speech mannerisms make Kirk look like somebody who is eloquent and thoughtful.

And yes, he's a little hammy and over the top. But I think that makes him look as if he's just passionate about what he's saying. Kirk comes across as a man who absolutely believes every last thing he says and really, truly cares about the things he's talking about.

He's absolutely fantastic, and I don't care if anybody else thinks differently!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:William Shatner's acting.
Agreed. I never thought he was a bad actor and the hammy bit was definitely more pronounced in Trek than say T.J. Hooker.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Harry Kim was the most likeable member of Voyager. Sure, a perma- ensign and a total p*$$y at times, but the guy was the most relatable guy on that show to a sort of beta- male geek like me. He was humble, curious, eager to please without suffering from Wesley Crusher syndrome, and most of all got angry for the right reasons!