Axanar settled

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Axanar settled

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Star Trek rights holders CBS and Paramount have seen the logic of settling a copyright suit against Alec Peters, who solicited money on crowdfunding sites and hired professionals to make a YouTube short and a script of a planned feature film focused on a fictional event — a Starfleet captain's victory in a war with the Klingon Empire — referenced in the original 1960s Gene Roddenberry television series. Thanks to the settlement, CBS and Paramount won't be going to trial on Stardate 47634.44, known to most as Jan. 31, 2017.

According to a joint statement, "Paramount Pictures Corporation, CBS Studios Inc., Axanar Productions, Inc. and Alec Peters are pleased to announce that the litigation regarding Axanar’s film Prelude to Axanar and its proposed film Axanar has been resolved. Axanar and Mr. Peters acknowledge that both films were not approved by Paramount or CBS, and that both works crossed boundaries acceptable to CBS and Paramount relating to copyright law."
So they have "agreed to make substantial changes to Axanar to resolve this litigation". Which to me implies that we will get Axanar, though in modified and perhaps less ambitious form.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Axanar settled

Post by sunnyside »

I'd found a bit more detail in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/movi ... .html?_r=0

The upshot seems to be that Axanar is going to happen, but instead of being a feature length production it's going to be limited to two 15 minute chunks, so if they can leverage the initial "prelude" they can have essentially a single episode length thing.

Future works will be held to 30 minutes max across two episodes. Essentially this is the end of semi-professional fan production since I doubt people will go to the levels of effort we've seen in the past with sets, casting, and special effects, if they can only put out 30 minutes of material.