Starfleet ground forces

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starfleet ground forces

Post by Meste17 »

So I have had a series of thoughts ever since I started a little project of my own. See, my father is retired. An ex-Special Forces veteran from the US Army, and I have wanted to do a little service record that would closely, if not exactly, resemble and otherwise reflect what he did in the real life. However, I find myself in a bit of a conundrum here, and I would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer in this respect. :) :bangwall:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Starfleet ground forces

Post by Teaos »

What exactly do you want?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:What exactly do you want?
Well I already have his birth date for this character: 2351, and he graduates from the academy in 2373, shortly before the Dominion war already begins. All I will really need are locations where he serves. Will he serve on starships? Will he serve on starbases or space stations?

I will give you the complete record here so you can study it for yourself.

Fort Benning, Georgia; Officer Basic Course; July – Nov 1989; 2nd lieutenant
Fort Benning, Georgia; Airborne School; Nov – Dec 1989
Fort Campbell; Air Assault Training; Dec 1989 – Jan 1990
Fort Benning, Georgial Ranger School; Jan 1990 – Feb 1990
Fort Riley, Kansas; Feb 1990 – April 1990, I was born at this base, which would make my Star Trek birth date in 2375.
Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Special Forces; April 1990 – May 1990; 2nd lieutenant
Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Special Forces; May 1990 – Aug 1990; 1st lieutenant
Fort Riley, Kansas; XO, 1st Infantry Division; Aug 1990 – Dec 1990; 1st Special Forces Group; LRS Long Range Surveillance
Went to Iraq; Operation Desert Storm; Dec 1990 – May 1991
Fort Benning Georgia; Acting Company Commander; July 1991 – Nov 1991
Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Company XO; Nov 1991 – May 1993
Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Company Commander; May 1993 – Oct 1993; Captain; 7th Special Forces Group, 7th Battalion 1st Airborne Group
Fort Benning Georgia; Company Commander; Oct 1993 – May 1994; 16th Training/Infantry Brigade; 4th Battalion
Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Company Commander; May 1994 – 1998; 7th Special Forces Group, 1st Airborne Battalion, Delta Company
Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Battalion Assistant; 1998 – 2000; Major, S3 of the 7th Special Forces Group, 1st Airborne Battalion, Delta Company, Operations Officer
Operation Iraqi Freedom; Operations Officer; 20 Mar 2003 – May 2006
Operation Iraqi Freedom; Battalion XO; May 2006 – 18 Dec 2011: Lt. Colonel
Fort Livingworth Kansas; Unknown assignment; 2011 – 2012
Afghanistan; Battalion Commander; 2012 – 2013; 1st Special Forces Group
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What help do you need with this, exactly?

You want a service record for a guy in the Trek universe?

Okay... when in the Trek universe? If you want it in TOS, you need to add around 250 years to those dates. In TNG, add about another 80.

Then change the names of the places to Trek names.

As is often the case, your posts seem to amount to "I want to make something up, can somebody make it up for me?"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:What help do you need with this, exactly?

You want a service record for a guy in the Trek universe?

Okay... when in the Trek universe? If you want it in TOS, you need to add around 250 years to those dates. In TNG, add about another 80.

Then change the names of the places to Trek names.

As is often the case, your posts seem to amount to "I want to make something up, can somebody make it up for me?"
1. Yes I do because this will be in honor of my father.
2. It will be in the 24th century actually, so I already have done just that. His birth year will be in 2351 (1966 - 1776 = 190 + 2161 = 2351).
3. That is what I need help with to answer your question. I do not know where Starfleet would want to put him for a guy who has done special forces work, as I want his character, much like he did, to be in Starfleet's own special forces. He was a total badass and I want his character to reflect that. However my dad has not specified where he would like to serve, whether it be on starships or space stations. All I have so far is that he serves upon graduation in the Dominion Wars, taking part in the massive battles seen, such as the Invasions of Chin'Toka, the Siege of AR-558, and the Final Battle of Cardassia.

Do not worry it is NOT the case, you have my word. I DO have the dates. I just need help establishing locations where Starfleet would put special forces guys like him. Does this make any sense at all?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Honestly, the fact that there were so many years of peace/dentente between most of the Alpha/Beta powers prior to the Dominion War, I always have sort of wondered where we would see special forces. My guess would be that these forces would be tapped to deal with secretive special ops in border worlds, etc. However, it also seems a bit of a contradiction, as "Starfleet's mission has always been one of peace..." per Spock in ST:VI, so why would a scientific organization have Seal Team VI.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Cardassia would be the obvious one.

But honestly, pre Doninion Star Fleet didn't fight a lot, and what they did was ship actions.

A solider may be deployed to the odd colony having issues but that's pretty much it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually there are many references to conflicts that we didn't see and/or know little about.

As mentioned, the Cardassians are the obvious one. There was a war with them sometime prior to 2364, but close enough that O'Brien fought in it. And we know it involved ground actions on a planetary scale.

There was a Tholian attack on a Federation Starbase in 2353, as mentioned by Kyle Riker in "The Icarus Factor". Starbases can be ground facilities, of course, so this may have been a ground action.

The attack on Space Station Salem One, which led to a "bloody" conflict, mentioned by Picard in "The Enemy". Less likely to have ground action here, though not impossible.

The border conflicts with the Taresians, in the late 2350s, referenced in "Suddenly Human". These certainly involved ground actions.

There were at least two wars with the Tzenkethi, since Sisko refers to "the last Federation-Tzenkethi War" in "The Adversary". No word on ground actions, but it's certainly possible.

And there are innumerable conflicts mentioned that were not with the Federation, but which could have seen special forces sent in on the kind of "rescue Federation citizens stranded in a foreign conflict" operation that special forces often do. The Ersalrope Wars which Minos III supplied arms for, referenced in "The Arsenal of Freedom", the Kenzie Rebellion mentioned by Data in "The High Ground", any of the Mizarian conquests mentioned in "Allegiance", the renegade Andorians in the Triangulum system mentioned by Picard in "The Survivors"...

There's really no shortage of conflicts prior to TNG.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

There is also Section 31, who seem to get involved in just about anything they want to. Not quite the same thing though.
email, ergo spam
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:There was a Tholian attack on a Federation Starbase in 2353, as mentioned by Kyle Riker in "The Icarus Factor". Starbases can be ground facilities, of course, so this may have been a ground action.
Yes, according to Memory Beta, the starbase in question was starbase 311, and according to the TNG episode, "The Icarus Factor," Riker was the only one who survived from the whole base.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Well what I do know is that upon graduation in 2373, as many people have said, Cardassia could be the obvious choice, but before hand I would like to opt that he could have possibly served as part of the very first detachment of troops on AR-558, upon the Federation's taking the Chin'Toka system, which would have happened around the end of 2374, and according to the mentioned episode, "The Siege of AR-558," Starfleet troops were supposed to be rotated off the front lines every 3 months, so he could have served possibly from January 2375 to MAYBE April 2375, and afterwards he could possibly participate in the final battle of the war, the Invasion of Cardassia, in late 2375 maybe?

But even so, what would happen afterwards .... ? Hmmm ....
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

However, he has told me (my father) that he would like to see himself as a Starfleet Command "liaison" to its Ground Forces, after teaching at Starfleet Academy in Martial Arts and the lost art of MACO training. (I say lost art because as we clearly see, with the exceptions of seeing ground forces like in Star Trek V and DS9's aforementioned "Siege of AR-558, there is almost NO mention of MACO forces whatsoever.)
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I love when other people make stuff up for me to imagine...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Bryan Moore wrote:I love when other people make stuff up for me to imagine...
:laughroll:
email, ergo spam
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Man, I was a horny 19 year old when I found this site, an arrogant 24 year old when the forum started, and now a grumpy old man at 34.