Hand phaser combat

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I guess you wouldn't like the other way round then.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

What, listen to her without looking at her? Nah, I've got no use for that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I am blissfully unaware of who the hell you're talking about. I find the best way to listen to music is with a ten to twenty year filter for the stupid crap.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Jordanis wrote:I am blissfully unaware of who the hell you're talking about. I find the best way to listen to music is with a ten to twenty year filter for the stupid crap.
Well, you're probably right. But to enlighten you: Rihanna is a singer who actually has a mediocre-to-decent voice, but uses it to perform sample-fuelled, lowest-common-denominator drivel. What I was referring to is the fact that she is BANGIN'. I mean, absolutely, 100% smoking. She's an "island gul" (Bahamian, I think) with a medium skin tone and a body to cry over.
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Mikey wrote:
Jordanis wrote:I am blissfully unaware of who the hell you're talking about. I find the best way to listen to music is with a ten to twenty year filter for the stupid crap.
Well, you're probably right. But to enlighten you: Rihanna is a singer who actually has a mediocre-to-decent voice, but uses it to perform sample-fuelled, lowest-common-denominator drivel. What I was referring to is the fact that she is BANGIN'. I mean, absolutely, 100% smoking. She's an "island gul" (Bahamian, I think) with a medium skin tone and a body to cry over.
Well, I can't see any other reason to watch her videos, so I did guess it was something like that. ;)
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

As I recal phasers can be altered to fire nanites.

Presumably nanites could somehow make music.

So in principle you could shoot a Klingon with Rhianna's music.

Probably more effective than stun.

I looked into phasers a little online. And, really, the Federation is probably MacGyver's heaven. Out of curiosity are there instances of other races disrupters, nav deflectors etc doing all sorts of crazy stuff or is that only a federation thing. Granted we're mostly watching federation adventures and the writers are on their side, but occasionally they get ahold of alien stuff.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No, I don't recall any instance of that license with basic science going on with anybody but the Feds.

Oh, wait... the Jem'Hadar directed-energy weapon can supposedly carry toxins or some other complex chemicals in its beam, right?
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:No, I don't recall any instance of that license with basic science going on with anybody but the Feds.

Oh, wait... the Jem'Hadar directed-energy weapon can supposedly carry toxins or some other complex chemicals in its beam, right?
I don't recal that, but they did use Plasma rifles as personal weapons. Depending on what the 'plasma' actually is it might be feasible.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

How is that feasible? The function of a toxin is dependent on its (relatively large) molecular structure being delivered INTACT into the intended substrate. A plasma would both break bonds in that molecule as well as excite individual atoms - that heat would also add to the decomposition of that molecule.

As far as a true "energy" weapon, how could that "carry" anything along the beamline?

BTW - in DS9/"The Ship" the Jem'Hadar weapons are said to carry an anti-coagulant.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:How is that feasible? The function of a toxin is dependent on its (relatively large) molecular structure being delivered INTACT into the intended substrate. A plasma would both break bonds in that molecule as well as excite individual atoms - that heat would also add to the decomposition of that molecule.

As far as a true "energy" weapon, how could that "carry" anything along the beamline?

BTW - in DS9/"The Ship" the Jem'Hadar weapons are said to carry an anti-coagulant.
You do realize I only understand half of that right.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

The anti coagulants were with the phased polaron weaponry. And if you aren't picky about it's health affects there may be elements which on their own prevent coagulation. Still I think the phrasing indicates that the stuff was somehow delivered with the energy stream.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

sunnyside wrote:The anti coagulants were with the phased polaron weaponry. And if you aren't picky about it's health affects there may be elements which on their own prevent coagulation. Still I think the phrasing indicates that the stuff was somehow delivered with the energy stream.
What is a coagulation? The only thing I know about that word is it's the name of a map in Halo 2. And that it has something to do with blood(which is the reason the name was used on the Halo 2 version of Blood Gulch)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sunnyside wrote:Still I think the phrasing indicates that the stuff was somehow delivered with the energy stream.
Yes, it does.

"coagulation" means congealing or (in the case of blood) clotting. So an anticoagulant is an agent which would cause a wound to continue to bleed, which is pretty nasty - especially since one would expect most energy weapons to cauterize their own wounds.

Now:
I wrote:A plasma would both break bonds in that molecule as well as excite individual atoms - that heat would also add to the decomposition of that molecule.
A plasma is basically an ionized gas. If you were to try to "carry" a complex chemical - like the anti-coagulant - in a plasma stream, the charged particles in the plasma would tend to take apart the complex molecules of the chemical. In addition, the free electrons would excite - add energy to - the component atoms of the chemical, causing heat.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Now, to what sunnyside just reminded us: one would assume that the polarons of a "phased polaron beam" are, if not elementary, at least subatomic in scale. How could a beam of, say, even proton-sized particles carry an agent which is more than likely composed of HUGE molecules?
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

DITL says

"The weapon fires a phased polaron pulse encased in a burst of high-energy gamma EM;" in green

Now I'm not sure how photons encase anything. But if encasing is going on it seems reasonable (for Trek) that other stuff could be encased as well, which I think is the idea.

And anticoagulants aren't complex molecules as molecules go. And I'm sure you could find simpler anticoagulants if you didn't have to get them past the FDA. I don't think a single element anticoagulant is out of the question.