TOS Star Charts

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

TOS Star Charts

Post by Talondor »

I was looking around the web for Star Trek maps and the only ones I could find are the ones from the Star Charts book that was published a number of years ago, or ones that seem to be based on this. But these all seem to be based on the TNG era and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Star Trek galaxy maps based on the original series.

Thanks.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: TOS Star Charts

Post by Bryan Moore »

To my knowledge, there were no detailed charts from TOS. Based on the series general lack of continuity in regards to such details, I am not sure you'll find much outaide the Star Charts book and whatever later era graphics that were shown on screen.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There were maps in the original Tech Manual by Franz Joseph.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Oh wow, I wholly forgot about those.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've always found it kinda funny that the UFP exploration zone is this rather large swath of the Mily Way... and the Federation itself is this teeny-tiny thing there at the center of it. :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That hit me as weird too. For one, it makes the UFP look vastly smaller than the Romulan or Klingon Empires.

I think the genesis of it was the fact that in the show, the Enterprise would be visiting a Federation Starbase one week, a Federation colony world the next, then exploring uncharted space the next. Logically that means many Starbases and even planets must be outside the Federation itself.

So it seems like the treaty zone is an area the Klingons and Romulans have agreed to stay out of, but not actually Federation space as such.

Notice also that being able to transit this zone in any reasonable time would mean galaxy-wide travel would certainly be feasible.

Which, oddly, would directly contradict the Speed = WF^3 formula that was highlighted in this book. Warp 6 is 216xc according to Joseph... so crossing a treaty zone 4,750 parsecs in radius should take around 140 years. But the Enterprise did it routinely. Odd that a guy as technically minded as Joseph would mess this up.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...