The Scimitar-a Romulan ship?

Trek Books, Games and General chat

can the Scimitar be effectively considered a Romulan ship?

yes
77%
no
18%
unsure
5%

Total votes: 22
Handel
Petty officer second class

The Scimitar-a Romulan ship?

Post by Handel »

ok guys-since the "Poll Suggestions" thread didn't seem appropriate to discuss this, I figured it would make sense to create a new one here.

So here are my thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree (as if you needed my permission for that....)

-In my mind, Remus is as a part of the Romulan Empire as Manitoba is a part of Canada (no, this is not saying that 'Tobans are a perpretually-marsupialled slave race). So their contributions to the whole should probably be seen as a contribution of the whole if you get what I'm saying. This was most definitely the case with regards to the Reman contingent within the Romulan military during the Dom War.

-Secondly, and perhaps this is more a YATI than anything else, is that since the Remans are largely an underground-dwelling slave race (well, pretty much all we've seen of them, with the exception of Riker's quote about the war mentioned above, points to this anyways), or at any rate are considered by most in Romulan society to be an inferior race and therefore a lower (read: poorer, less educated) caste in this society, then how could they possibly acquire the resources and develop a ship this size-in secret, no less-without an almost equal partnership with ethnic Romulans. To be sure, it may be based on traditional Reman designs, and the development of a separate Reman culture emanating from the slave mines is pretty much inevitable, but the construction, and even some of the influence of the design, has got to come from Romulans. As an example, this is seen in its obvious bird-like design, and I even recall the wings being built with a feather-pattern. If this is a shared characteristic of both races, then my thesis is further supported.

Your thoughts?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

This is kind of like saying that a ship built in california wasn't made in the US. :?

The Scimitar also apeared to use the same technology as the Romulan empire, I doubt that Shinzon and the Remans could have built tech which surppases the romulans.

In my opinion it can safely be considered a romulan vessel.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

Shinzon said he and the Remans built the Scimitar in secret. Which I never got. How could they build such a thing without the Tal Shiar noticing?
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
I never thought of that, I guess the plot holes in the rest of the movie knocked it out of my head.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think it is. If the Romulans take power back or not it is still the same empire just with a different head.

Thus anything produced by the empire is apart of it.

Also I do believe they said they built it in secret which would be hard but not impossible.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

It doesn't matter if it's Reman built, it's still belongs to the Romulan Starfleet.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

It was apparently constructed with the help of Romulan military collaborators. So yeah, Romulan built, Reman owned.

"We... are the Reman Warbird Scimitar" ~Viceroy.

That's like buying a car and saying you built it.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Probably so. at the very least, there is no reason the Romulans could not build one (likely without the Thaleron weapon, hopefully...). It would still be a heck of a warship!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I can't quite remember but wasn't the ship built in secret? Thus the plans for it could be lost. They may not be able to remake it. Or want to. It seems pretty resorce intensive ship. May as well just build 2 or 3 other ships. Appart from the cloak and huge illegal weapon I don't think it had anything special about it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It was pretty clear from the movie that Shinzon had some high ranking Romulan officers on his side; he promised them an attack on Earth to get their support, if I remember right.

We know Remus has a lot of mines... if we assume it has a lot of the heavy industry to go with them (and why not?), then you are looking at shipyards. And if some of those Romulans on Shinzon's side were in charge of shipyards, anything is possible.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Cyd

Post by Cyd »

Could the ship in Unification tie into this? The Romulans could have been using it like the Federation used the Defiant; to test new weapons that would later be used on the Scimitar.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I'd say Remus is part of the Romulan Empire the same way QUEBEC is part of the Canada.

Meaning that before, it didn't had any say in this, and now, choice remain undecided.

So, until Remus effectively breaks from the Romulan Empire (as seen in the Titan novel), I would never consider the Reman has any technological infrastructure to develop such as superweapon.

Actually, I disagree with Kennedy's comment that it looks Klingon in design. I think it looks like the Jem'Hadar battleship we've seen in Valiant. Maybe the Romulans plundered Jem'Hadar design techs during the war, and used some of the blueprints?
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I didn't want to start a new thread for this... but it is a question comparing the Scimitar to other Romulan ships.

Defense: Shields capacity:
D'Deridex Class - 2,295,000
Norexan Class - 3,240,000
Scimitar Class - 2,160,000

Does that mean that the Norexan Class can take more punishment than the Scimitar? Or as the Scimitar shields are listed as Primare and Secondary, does that mean EACH layer of shields is 2,160,000 for a total of 4,320,000? In that case shouldn't the listing on the site actually be changed to the 4,320,000 as that would be the actual total capacity?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

bloody hell,thats observant, i never noticed or questioned
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Granitehewer wrote:bloody hell,thats observant, i never noticed or questioned
Oh, I might not remeber names of ANYTHING when I finish watching a movie or episode... but I spot data trends that are written right in front of me.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...