The Scimitar-a Romulan ship?

Trek Books, Games and General chat

can the Scimitar be effectively considered a Romulan ship?

yes
77%
no
18%
unsure
5%

Total votes: 22
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

by the way re: Shinzons' support, if you watch the deleted scenes from Nemesis, it further reinforces Shinzons' frail position and need for high ranking romulan support, he quivers and appears vulnerable to the challenges of a romulan, presumably an admiral
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I believe the scimitar has several sheild grids so that may just be for each one.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I belive the Scimitar is the Romulan answer to the other large ships like the Dominion battleships, the Klingon Negh'Var, and the Federation's Soverign. When Shinzon took control he took the Scimitar as his personal flagship and crewed it with Remans loyal to him. As there were no Romulans aboard it could be called a Reman warbird. If the Federation captured a Dominion vessel and was controlling it openly it would be called a Federations ship, not a dominion ship.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i think calling it 'the Reman Warbird Scimitar' is a persuasive linguistic device on his behalf, symbolic of his 'new empire order'
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. And it was construceted with no technology the Romulans were unlikely to have already been studying.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The fact that it has seneral of the most advanced systems ever seen would imply it had help from some serious R&D.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but its likely that most of this R&D was done at Romulan stations.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Totally agreed, Rochey. Perhaps the technology had already been developed by the Romulans, and Shinzon's collaborators gave him access to it when he promised to cripple the Federation. Then it was built 'in secret' by Remans (Remus had heavy weapons production capacity) so that if the attack failed, the Romulans could blame it on Reman rebels.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I believe the Remans performed the actual construction because they would do it for Shinzon, and the Romulans would not. In all likelihood, though, it seems impossible that there was no Romulan involvement in the design or the tech.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They may of stolen the tech somehow. But they would still probably need help even with that.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The only way the Remans built it was if the Romulans used them as labourers. Think about it a little. To build something like the Scimitar would be like building an aircraft carrier without your government knowing. There's no way to pull it off. And the Remans are slaves at the time it was built, which would make it a lot more difficult to hide it. There was also no talk of it being built in secret in the movie.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Besides, an enslaved or indentured sub-population just doesn't have access to the kinds of tech or raw materials necessary for a project like that, UNLESS they are working on a sanctioned project.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer