A different sort of series

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

A different sort of series

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A random thought that occured to me today. How plausable would it be to have a series, not based around a Federation ship, but around an alien ship? By that I mean, rather than having (say) a Galaxy class with a mostly human crew, you would have a D'Derix or a Negh'var instaed, crewed by their respective races.
Assuming it is written by someone with a brain, how well would such a series fare? Would taking the humans out of it cause the series to fail misserably?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It might not be welcomed as well by trekkie veterans. But it might attract a new wave of fans.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I don't think it would do well. It would be difficult for fans to connect to the characters. I think half the main characters need to be human or human-like for it to work, or else you end up with only a handful of diehard fans like with D&D and other fantasy stuff where you have to be really into it to understand what they're talking about.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And there would be loads of people moaning that the speech wasn't in Romulan or Klingon. Then If it was, there would have to be subtitles, which would annoy alot of people.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I believe one of the main ideas kicked around when they were going to make another series whoch finally became enterprise they were going to do one about a Klingon Bird of prey ship.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I'm really not sure. On the one hands, books which feature just aliens do not tend to do well. However, is this simply because they are only written by those deep in the sci-fi genre and obscure to outsiders? The idea that an alien-focused book would not do well may in that case be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I would love to see it, personally. It would be nice to see the Klingons brought back from monoculture hell.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd like to also, but a show has to justify itself financially. In this case, you're cutting your market in two ways; once by having a cast of characters with whom it essentially harder to connect, and again by not having the shining star of the idea of Star Trek - the Federation - as central to the background.

Unfortunately, these are real considerations, and Paramount continues to not make moves based solely on what I want. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I think the scenario would be great as a miniseries, then if it did really well in the Nielsen ratings or sweeps, launch it as a series.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I agree, that's a miniseries type of thing.

Besides, Trek's aliens are too two dimentional. Just look at the ENT episode when the Vulcan ambassador was talking about how humans have the traits of all those other races and it scares the Vulcans. Then look at the negative response at making 'evil' vulcans (Which I perfer a whole lot more than the idea of always good vulcans)
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

That's what I meant about getting the Klingons out of monoculture hell.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think people exagerate the level to which the Klingons are monocultured. We only ever see their military pretty much and even then we see a decent amount of difference. As much as you would in our modern army anyway.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.