Trekyards

Trek Books, Games and General chat
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Trekyards

Post by McAvoy »

It's a nice idea to basically show the evolution between the NX Enterprise to the Connie Enterprise. It fits that the Enterprise is a ever evolving testbed for increasing technology too.

However it looks slapped on and logically the old engineering section would be moved to the new one which means gutting out the old one. That may not be bad if they have the capability to jettison the core but you still have the conduits and everything connected to the core itself. Those have to removed and at least redirected. Also I assume that there would have to be some rebuilding of certain sections so that the two section would fit. As in redirecting conduits downward and extending the turbo lifts or whatever they called.

Not to mention the warp field itself.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In the review, he argues that the original warp core would still be there - the engineering hull would add a second core for greatly increased power generation. One advantage would be that you could afford to basically have your engineering hull shot off and still be able to run the ship at warp. Interesting idea, though honestly I'd think that it would indicate a remarkably robust warp system to have that much damage management ability. Seems like something that maybe would be a bit beyond the capabilities of the pre-TOS era. But that's just my feeling.

Which is an interesting point actually - I don't know that we've ever seen a ship with multiple warp cores. I always figured that it would be a logical thing to do, for redundancy / damage resistance purposes. Voyager had two on the MSD, but Sternbach argued that the second one was essentially just a stack of spare parts to cannibalise for keeping the main one running, and didn't actually function. Which seems a silly idea to me, but there you go.

Adding the shuttlebay would be potentially a major improvement, as would the greatly enlarged deflector/sensor dish.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

In general I hate the NX Class, its a pretty ship not appropriate and it is to fundamentally flawed for any update to make it better.

The NX in my mind should of been cramped, with pipes and machinery everywhere. It would of had a very submarine feel to it. Not a slightly less roomy floating hotel.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Pretty much agree. I actually would have had the NX looking a lot more like the Conestoga :

To me, that makes a lot of sense as a pre-TOS ship. But from what he's said, the powers that be were determined to have a "classic Trek ship" with saucer and nacelles.

In fact we had a close escape - when they first started developing the show, at least one executive wanted to use the Akira class. Not a pre-TOS version of the same layout, but the actual Akira class as seen in First Contact. The reasoning was that it had been a big fan favourite and that "nobody will notice or care" about reusing a First Contact design. Compared to that, the NX class is perfection personified!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah Trek is famous for its laid back fans who wouldnt notice something like that....

What the hell sort of logic is that? People loved that ship, so they wont notice if we use it again?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some of the stories you hear about movie and TV execs are really amazing. The entertainment industry appears to be largely run by people who are utterly clueless as to what people actually find entertaining.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Probert talks about the galaxy class :

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ugly ship.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I dunno, it's kind of grown on me over the years. I always thought the nacelles were too short, though.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Always liked it. I know at certain angles like looking forward from below the saucer looks much larger than it is. Certain angles make it look top heavy.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Like he says, that makes a certain sense - the saucer is the primary hull, after all. The engineering hull is there to support the primary hull. As tech advances, it makes sense that more and more of the "what the ship is for" hull should need less and less of a "supporting the other hull" hull.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

McAvoy wrote:Always liked it. I know at certain angles like looking forward from below the saucer looks much larger than it is. Certain angles make it look top heavy.
Agreed.....didnt like it at all initially......and yet...it grew to become my favourite Star Trek ship. Huge...elegant....a grand lady.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its just fat, disproportionate, and the opposite of Elegant.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Love the Akira... although we know very little about it. It's just got a very cool layout. Kinda Klingonsih, to my eye, with the downswept nacelles.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the Akira is one of my favourite classes. I love the design, it somehow looks threatening. I get what you mean about the Klingonesque feel; the nacelles and wings are reminiscent of the Vorcha.