Human/Andorian offspring

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Human/Andorian offspring

Post by Meste17 »

Would it be possible for a Human and an Andorian to have a child? If so, how would it be at least possible?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Human/Andorian offspring

Post by McAvoy »

WTF c'mon.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In theory it should be impossible for any two aliens to have a child together. You should be more closely related to a banana than you are to a Vulcan.

Modern Trek has started to recognise this and say that parents need "help" - gene manipulation to allow the species to cross-breed.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meste17 wrote:Would it be possible for a Human and an Andorian to have a child? If so, how would it be at least possible?
a) Why is this even a question?

b) Not without the assistance GK mentioned, because that's part of the definition of "species," q.v. BTW, said definition could have been researched before using the forum as a dictionary.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Something that occurred to me long ago before the modern "they got help" idea spread... actually the definition of a species is that they can't reproduce and produce viable offspring, meaning offspring that can themselves reproduce. So for examples donkeys and horses can cross breed and produce mules - it's just that mules are all sterile and can't breed with one another.

So that used to make me wonder... was Spock sterile? It would have been somewhat more believable to have these cross-species types if they had all been sterile.

Course K'ehlyr and B'Elanna put rest to that idea.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Certainly the intent here was to ask if said cross-species could produce a continuing line. In any event, the idea that even, say, humans and Vulcans are as genetically similar as horses and donkeys is patently ludicrous, whether or not it is a canon fact.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Indeed. But it would have been a bit more believable.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. In my imperfect knowledge, I don't believe we've seen Spock have a... successful Ponn Farr. I don't know about RL cross-breeds - do ligers, mules, etc., have a sex drive, sterile or not?

*EDIT* For that matter, what's up with him making out with Uhura in the reboot [outside Pon Farr?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's been established that Vulcans have to mate during Pon Farr, but I don't think anybody ever said they were limited to those times only. T'Pol made the two-backed-monster with Reed when she wasn't in Pon Farr, remember.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Hmm. In my imperfect knowledge, I don't believe we've seen Spock have a... successful Ponn Farr.
It depends whether writer's intent counts as canon - if so, then you can count Saavik being left behind on Vulcan when Bounty returned to Earth because she was pregnant.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That would have been an interesting episode to make where a guest star would be the son of Spock and found out the mother is Saavik. Plot wise I have no idea how to tie that in with the main plot of that episode.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Doh, Reed? Trip! Reed should be so lucky!
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

They added in that episode where the idea was that planets all over had been populated by a bipedal species, and they had left clues around about it. Hence why so many of the bipedial species look so very similar.

It occurs to me that they don't tend to use the word species in the series. They seem to prefer the word "race" or just to refer the different races by name without other related terms.

In short I think we're different breeds more like dogs.

While some races did need "help" humandidn't seem to need it, at least in multiple cases.

I'd rather been waiting for some comment about how humans were able to establish Starfleet and maintain their central role due to our intergalactic appeal/desire/crossbreed capability.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:Hmm. In my imperfect knowledge, I don't believe we've seen Spock have a... successful Ponn Farr.
It depends whether writer's intent counts as canon - if so, then you can count Saavik being left behind on Vulcan when Bounty returned to Earth because she was pregnant.

It doesn't.
as Bull offed Custer