Nicholas Meyer Joins New Star Trek Series

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Nicholas Meyer Joins New Star Trek Series

Post by Nutso »

The director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

http://www.startrek.com/article/nichola ... rek-series
It’s official. Bryan Fuller, who will co-create, produce and serve as showrunner of the upcoming Star Trek series, has just announced the news that Nicholas Meyer has joined the show's writing staff and will be a consulting producer.

"Nicholas Meyer chased Kirk and Khan 'round the Mutara Nebula and 'round Genesis' flames, he saved the whales with the Enterprise and its crew, and waged war and peace between Klingons and the Federation. We are thrilled to announce that one of Star Trek's greatest storytellers will be boldly returning as Nicholas Meyer beams aboard the new Trek writing staff," said Executive Producer, Bryan Fuller.

Meyer, of course, is beloved by Star Trek fans worldwide for directing (and co-written, uncredited) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, co-writing Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and co-writing and directing Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

The new Star Trek series, produced by CBS Television Studios, will launch in early 2017. In the U.S., a special premiere episode will air on the CBS Television Network and all subsequent first-run episodes will be available exclusively on CBS All Access. The series will also be available on television stations and platforms in other countries around the world.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nicholas Meyer Joins New Star Trek Series

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's great news. Still waiting to hear what the premise is, though...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Graham Kennedy wrote:That's great news. Still waiting to hear what the premise is, though...
I'm still thinking they genuinely don't have one.

I think they're gathering writing talent first, and letting them figure it out. That might not be such a bad idea.

Being Trek, they can probably get started on the groundwork for the special effects without any idea of the premise, besides being Trek. They might even be able to buy much of what they would want.

Though if they want to hit their January target they don't have a much longer to bounce around ideas.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm hoping we don't get any kind of gimmick - "Starfleet Academy", "Set it on a Klingon ship", etc. Just give me a plain old TOS/TNG style Starfleet ship doing what Starfleet does.

Hell, I'd go for a simple remake of TOS at this point. Reboot the entire continuity and start from scratch. Why not?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm either or. Just gimme somethinggood, gimmicked or not.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My issue with gimmicks is that virtually every one I ever heard of does nothing but limit your story options.

The real genius of the standard Trek format is that it lets you do pretty much any kind of story you like. Whether it's fighting battles in space, chasing criminals or sitting in on legal hearings, getting involved in medical dramas, responding to some natural disaster... whatever you can think of, there's a reason why a Starfleet ship might get involved with it. They can do shows in almost any genre they want to.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

We waited 12 years when this show premiers, I want Enterprise-DD exploring the outer reaches of Sector 69 investigating the meaning of 47.

Seriously. I want a show with a crew on a ship figuring shit out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I think I'll be happy so long as they have some actual respectable engineers who save the day with engineering, noblebright, and a willingness to engage in extended dialogue that actually explores an issue and can resolve it. I think those are the things that separate Trek from the other sci fi series out there.

Of course I like some action, space battles, and crazy special effects as much as the next guy. But if that's all you want to do why not avoid the royalties and just make up your own ships and bumpy headed aliens?