Standard time in Trek

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Standard time in Trek

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

This is a problem I've wondered about at times: just what standard time system is in use? It's not so much a problem aboard a ship, but when ships of different races meet, it becomes more problematic. Even more interesting is when standard time units like "hours" are brought up in first contact episodes; of course it would bog down the episodes the same way that the language and food problems would, but some kind of exchange of standards must have taken place.

It is a different matter when alien worlds come into play: each planet would have its own unique rotational period and orbital period around its sun. There is a whole problem of adjustment to different day lengths when moving from one planet to another, or from ship to alien world. Within the Federation, people on every member/colony world are all on entirely different time scales! It's jet lag squared!

We may assume that "hours," "days," etc refer to those on Earth. This would continue the proud tradition of homocentrism/terracentrism in Trek, but makes the most sense in light of who's watching it! However, it would have greatly simplified the issue if the terms "Earth hours," "Earth Days," etc were used in place of "hours," "days," etc. This solution would not only elucicate and clarify the issue, it would be so easy to implement as to incur zero notable cost!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I noticed that too, I always figured it was something that the UT did automatically. Although DS9 ran on a 26 hour day, which was helpful in reminding us that they lived in an alien starsystem. One of the many things I liked on that series.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You really are good at spotting all these little problems, Hair, aren't you? :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I like to think of it as bringing a fresh viewpoint to DITL :D
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hey, I'm not complaining. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I have noticed that - it would be hard not to - and I've always forced myself to assume that the term went through the UT to become one specifically related to the units we know. In other words, the UT wouldn't translate "1965 4-4-2 GTO" into the alien word that merely means "automobile." "Hour" would end up being translated as "the unit of time, x long in our native units, which is derived from approx. 1/24 of Earth's rotational period." If that happens, it's only natural that "hour" is the half of that conversation we hear, because the "English" side is the one we get from our TV.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer