Is the Vesta the Excelsior of the 24th century?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Is the Vesta the Excelsior of the 24th century?

Post by Meste17 »

So I was digging up stuff and my friend Tinadrin Chelnor and I were doing specs on the new Vesta class featured in the Destiny novels and all the information about her leads me to believe that she could be to the Sovereign class, and the USS Enterprise-E specifically, what the USS Excelsior was to the original USS Enterprise. Anybody want to correlate, corroborate, or confirm this? Maybe a debate?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the Vesta the Excelsior of the 24th century?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Depends on what you mean by it.

The Excelsior was an experimental ship intended to test out an ultrafast drive - transwarp. The Vesta class is the first Starfleet ship equipped with a slipstream drive, so in that respect they're certainly comparable.

On the other hand the Excelsior was a direct replacement for the Constitutions, whilst the Vesta seems to be intended to serve alongside the Sovereigns (based on the fact that the Sovereigns are only about seven years old when the Vesta is commissioned.)

Also, the Excelsior was a lot bigger than the Constitution, but the Vestas seem to be about the same size as the Sovereigns.

All in all I'd say the Vesta is more a testbed ship intended to try out new technologies which will then be used in other classes.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think the Vesta could be considered the Constellation to the Constitution as opposed to the Excelsior to the Constitution.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:I think the Vesta could be considered the Constellation to the Constitution as opposed to the Excelsior to the Constitution.
Well I would agree, considering the facts I've now seen at hand right now.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Okay, hi. As a man who has some social difficulties and enough mental health issues that it has changed how I have to live my life, I constantly remind myself of the need to be understanding of other people's personality quirks. You seem to be an odd one, but aren't we all. Hell, I like odd... But please... STOP NECRO-ING MOTHERFUCKING TWO YEAR OLD THREADS JUST TO SAY "I agree"!!!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, this has been mentioned before more than once. I, for one, am not enjoying having to use this color.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Hey you try moving 17 different times in 2 weeks and see how well you fare!!!! Lol
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

...the fuck???
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

...yeah!!
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.