OmniEatability

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

OmniEatability

Post by Monroe »

The Omnicommunity and an episode of Voyager made me realize that for the amount of chemicals, alergies, reactants, and what not that can effect humans and for that matter other races eatting random foods sure doesn't seem to be a problem.

ENT offered the only plausable explaination of this when Archer's dog pissed on a tree they said they had sent the aliens a copy of the dog's genome, but still.. kind of far fetched.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe they have a 'Universal Digestive System'?
Again, this is something that doesn't make that much sense when closely examined.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I'm sure it's checked by someone off-screen somehow. Or huminoids have a similar physiology, and may be able to eat food from other planets with huminoid life. Although I'm sure many careless ensigns have gotten sick or died from not checking their food first. Many alians look like humans with funny faces, or sometimes exacty like humans. This could mean that they have similar digestive systems.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it would make sense that it was checked off-screen. Or maybe with a tri-corder, somehow.
As for diets being similar, that is very unlikely. Even on Earth today, each species has it's own dietry requirements. Given the stuff we've seen Klingons eat, I'd say a lot of species are quite different when it comes to food.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Well, with that whole 'progenitors seeding the cosmos' business, presumably many species are based on the same sort of DNA, which will call for the same set of amino acids. Once you're past that, it's just a matter of which compounds you have or have not developed organs to process.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, right. I forgot about that stupidity.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well that kind of takes natural selection out of the equation doesn't it?
There's a chemical that tastes bitter to 7/10 people in the US. Its found in many posions but the other 3/10 can't taste it due to natural selection. Believe me, it tastes horrible.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We could assume that there are chemical "sniffers" that are always active, but it's still a stretch. In point of fact, outside the universe, it would just be a technical point that bogged down stories.

I don't like being made to explain away something from the show, but this particular one I don't mind ignoring.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Mikey wrote:We could assume that there are chemical "sniffers" that are always active, but it's still a stretch. In point of fact, outside the universe, it would just be a technical point that bogged down stories.

I don't like being made to explain away something from the show, but this particular one I don't mind ignoring.
This is the answer, in the end. The most attention it's really worth paying to this is 'oh they have funny foods' and maybe the occasional 'species x finds food y highly poisonous'.

Flavor text, you might say.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
Personaly, I just like to think they check their tricorders before eating anything.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I vote for the chem-sniffers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Actually the show that inspired me to make this thread had Seven eatting some kind of food some native girl gave her without scanning or hell even sniffing it first.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Well you know what Seven would say to that - "I am Borg". And we all know the vast intelligence that implies. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah but it was a planet covered by an energy shield that no one has set foot on in centuries.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pfft. You think a little thing like common sense will deter them?