OmniEatability

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Seven, at least, has her nanoprobes to fall back on.

There was one scene in which Pulaski administered the antidote to herself before drinking ceremonial Klingon tea with Worf.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

At least she took steps to find out that it was toxic before she drank it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:We could assume that there are chemical "sniffers" that are always active, but it's still a stretch. In point of fact, outside the universe, it would just be a technical point that bogged down stories.

I don't like being made to explain away something from the show, but this particular one I don't mind ignoring.
Yeah. Thsi and the omni-comminicability are two of those one where, if brought up too often, can quickly bog down the show. On occasion os cool, but too much is a bad thing here.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I don't want to watch Picard filling out all the forms to explain his firing of three photon torpedoes instead of just one. It's best not to elaborate on certain details.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point, though it'd be nice just to have a throw away line somewhere.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yah, even if it was just a general line used in one episode it would set the presidence that its done off camera in all the episodes.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's my point. All they really need is for a line like 'The tricorders say this stuff is safe to eat' in a single episode, and that would rationalise the whole thing perfectly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Doesn't bother me in the slighest, it's a complete no-issue to be honest. I don't even think there's anything to forgive the writers for! Which is a first.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it's not as if the idea that they can all eat the same food is impossible, per se. So I suppose you have a point there.