Omnicommunicability

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Omnicommunicability

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Here's one of the subtler aspects of Trek that is completely unrealistic: the Enterprise, Defiant, or especially Voyager run into alien species that no human has ever seen before, and in the time it takes to order "on screen," we're having a conversation in which they speak perfect English! Even if the computer is translating, it would take some time to generate a translation matrix. The few times Trek did it right, like in "Darmok," in some sense it only makes Trek look contradictory. This is one of the few things that "Enterprise" was absolutely correct on; it would have been more plausible if every ship in Trek had a Hoshi Sato.

Of course there's a real world problem in that it would be inconvenient to have to go through the whole shebang in every episode you meet someone, in universe it's completely nuts.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Obviously it works best for the show.

In world maybe it's a protocal that has spread throughout the galaxy. Kinda like unicode, only moreso. Just map your language to a set of numbers, and the computers do a little handshake after the hail and you're set.

Of course when contacting a new species that isn't space fairing you'd have to go through some shenanigans.

Of course the Galaxy class carries a whole pile of civilians and academics and stuff. Maybe they just have this stuff down... :wink:
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I heard the Federation translater scans the brain waves of the aliens to detect what they mean. This always bothered me cause that opens up the often contradictory idea of Trek's mind's privacy.

I think in Enterprise the few cases they did understand immediately that was understandable since Earth's been spewing out information for 250 years or so by that time. Advanced races might have picked up on the language and had it in the database.

Though I'm sure after learning 20,000 languages the 20,001 language is really easy to learn.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Maybe they thought Noam Chomsky was right after all, and sentient beings have an actual, physical apparatus in the brain for languages - and that this itself could be scanned and used as a basis for translation.

I can't believe I didn't just burst out laughing while mentioning Chomsky's language apparatus theory.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, the universal translator makes precisely zero sense as it's shown.
I love how it's able to translate a completely alien language with no time lapse, even on the first time the language is encountered.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Very true, it's absurd.

But I think that they should just do this regardless of how stupid it is. I mean, if they took the realistic approach then every single first contact episode or movie they ever did, all it would be about was learning the alien language. That would get real old after the first twenty or thirty times, don't you think?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They just should use Babel fish, perhaps?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

My french teacher is obsessive that Babelfish translates wrong. She saw students typing in the word for bedroom and it came out with the word for mother...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:My french teacher is obsessive that Babelfish translates wrong. She saw students typing in the word for bedroom and it came out with the word for mother...
lol, the real thing doesn't have such problems :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The episode when Quark was sent back to 20 century Earth was well made, with the los of universl translators.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And another DS9 episode with refugees from the Gamma Quadrant. It took time for the UT to learn their language.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Really? Weird...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:Really? Weird...
Yeah. Led to a semi-funny moment where one of the refugees pointed to a dress emphatically while the language wasn't yet known. Kira buys it for her and it turns out the refugee thought it was the ugliest thing she'd ever seen.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:My french teacher is obsessive that Babelfish translates wrong. She saw students typing in the word for bedroom and it came out with the word for mother...
I was talking about using the actual fish from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

oh...i knew that :roll:

That would be helpful...if we had them...which we dont...