Omnicommunicability

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Better yet, if they can't translate the language, how were they able to translate the indivdiual terms of the metaphors into "English" words?
Well that's the thing about Darmok, and it's a subtle point that most people miss. The Universal Translator WAS working. It did exactly what it was meant to do - turn what the aliens said into English.

When the Tamarian says "Darmok and Jalad on the ocean", he's actually using the Tamarian words for "and", "on", "the" and "ocean". The UT translated them into English perfectly. Trouble is, it doesn't help because the UT can't, in this case, render the meaning of those words since the Tamarians use language in a different way than we do.

As an aside, one scene I always wanted to see in Enterprise. Hoshi installs a new batch of subroutines in the UT and shows it off by talking English into it and having it speak Klingon or whatever. As she smiles, Porthos barks at Archer... and the UT says "I'm hungry... Want cheese..." :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Omnicommunicability

Post by Mikey »

Better yet: Porthos barks and the UT says, "Kill me... I can't stand that bastard..."

But yeah, that was my point about the UT - I can't see how, even if it can translate vocabulary, how it could instantly pick up on nuances of grammar, syntax, inflection, etc.

Tyyr - fair point about the hail. Another possibility is this: since computers throughout the galaxy in 'Trek work on similar principles, and computer security is universally non-existent, the hail may actually include a scan of the target ships cultural and linguistic database.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that was one of the good things about Darmok.

Too bad it works perfectly in every other situation. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I would love it if they could depict aliens speaking their own languages, with the UT providing a synthesized dub in English. It would probably be prohibitively difficult though.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:I would love it if they could depict aliens speaking their own languages, with the UT providing a synthesized dub in English. It would probably be prohibitively difficult though.
You mean budget-wise? I don't see how.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Not budget-wise, but in terms of creating languages for all the races, and training the actors to deliver the lines.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:Not budget-wise, but in terms of creating languages for all the races, and training the actors to deliver the lines.
Psshaw. They could just make up gibberish, and have that dubbed over.

Do you mean we'd hear their language while it's dubbed over in English?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Psshaw. They could just make up gibberish, and have that dubbed over.
That's true - for a typical alien of the week, you wouldn't really need to develop the language to any great extent, just have some syllables that sound half decent.
Do you mean we'd hear their language while it's dubbed over in English?
I was imagining something like what you see in international news, where there's a dubbed voice in English, but you can hear the person's own speech at a lower volume. I think it would be a much cooler and more realistic way to present aliens.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Lazar wrote:I think it would be a much cooler and more realistic way to present aliens.
Agreed, but it could present some difficulties in the "watch-ability" from a TV standpoint.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Mikey wrote:Tyyr - fair point about the hail. Another possibility is this: since computers throughout the galaxy in 'Trek work on similar principles, and computer security is universally non-existent, the hail may actually include a scan of the target ships cultural and linguistic database.
This is actually what I thought... I figured they just scanned the computer database of the other vessel.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm always hesitant to make stupid the default assumption. I like to assume that the necessary data is transferred intentionally rather than assuming they'll hack your database.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That may be why they have to open hailing frequencies, like they open the stream of data for the information to be transfered.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

In the extended universe, we basically get to understand that Hoshi and Uhura created a universal translation matrix that can essentially pick up things instantly. I forget which book (Kobayashi Maru, perhaps?), but a rather novel explanation was given for Hoshi's invention, but it does somewhat stink of "Quantum"
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yeah, i noticed that about Darmok. What about idioms, colloquialisms, slang, etc? There was one case in TNG: "Lower Decks" in which one of the junior officers mentioned to the Bajoran officer the phrase "fly on the wall," to which she replied by asking if that's the same as a "spider under the table" (if I got that quote right) - whatever the Bajoran phrase was, that was a good example.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

What I'm curious about, though, is Data's inability to make much sense out of the Tamarian language at first. I thought he had essentially infinite memory?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?