A Choice of Futures

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

A Choice of Futures

Post by Meste17 »

I am a little admittedly confused here as to the history behind the Kumari class vessels.

According to the DITL site, which I tend to believe by the way, there were no more than 20 Kumari class vessels, possibly not being the whole of the Andorian fleet altogether. However, while the USS Vol'Rala's registry, AGC-7-10, seems sensible, as it could fit in that number, the USS Thelasa-vei had a registry of AGC-7-48.

Could the Imperial Guard have actually built MORE vessels of the Kumari class line, or did they go by a different system, where one vessel of a different line is launched before the other? For example:

USS Zabathu (AGC-11-09) Ilthirin-class light cruiser active (2165)
USS Vol'Rala (AGC-7-10) (which, although she is a Kumari class vessel, could have been launched after the Zabathu, and therefore would be number 10 in the line in this particular instance)
USS Tashmaji (AGC-11-15) Ilthirin-class courier ship active (2165) (launched some time after the Vol'Rala)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: A Choice of Futures

Post by McAvoy »

You are putting alot of thought into something that was given maybe a minutes worth of thought.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Andorians might use a different numbering convention. They might count differently. Their numbers might have been translated incorrectly. They may label all their ships along the same number line, without differentiating between classes (as you have speculated.) They might not use registry numbers at all - did the Kumari ever display a registry in canon in ENT?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:You are putting alot of thought into something that was given maybe a minutes worth of thought.
McAvoy, I know I just feel that maybe people aren't giving enough thought on the subject in the first place. after all we all would like to know everything about Star Trek wouldn't we? I'm a true explorer at heart and I would like to learn everything about Star Trek
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Meste17 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:You are putting alot of thought into something that was given maybe a minutes worth of thought.
McAvoy, I know I just feel that maybe people aren't giving enough thought on the subject in the first place. after all we all would like to know everything about Star Trek wouldn't we? I'm a true explorer at heart and I would like to learn everything about Star Trek

I think that McAvoy's point wasn't "don't bother thinking about it" - after all, we've all spent lots of time here debating vehemently about fictional minutiae - but rather that you appear to be asking for concrete rationales for things that in all likelihood don't have any. Chances are that those Andorian registries were made up off the cuff, so any made-up conventions that you invent will be as good as any others.
as Bull offed Custer
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Mikey wrote:
Meste17 wrote:

I think that McAvoy's point wasn't "don't bother thinking about it" - after all, we've all spent lots of time here debating vehemently about fictional minutiae - but rather that you appear to be asking for concrete rationales for things that in all likelihood don't have any. Chances are that those Andorian registries were made up off the cuff, so any made-up conventions that you invent will be as good as any others.
I know that was my mistake as I didn't get a chance to think about what I said before I said it due to real life work. what I meant to say is that if we are going to actually explore Star Trek, let's explore as they say every nook and cranny that exists in the universe of the story. you see, ever since I read the article on the USS Vol'Rala, I found myself fascinated and wanted to explore it
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Again, there's no problem with wanting to explore whatever facet of the milieu you wish; you must be prepared to accept, however, the possibility that there is no answer promulgated by the show over any other and you very well may be left with the unsatisfying condition of "just pick one."
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or create your own. Especially on topics where not alot of thought or screen time was devoted to it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"