Diplomatic Relations from Canon Sources

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Platonian
Senior chief petty officer

Diplomatic Relations from Canon Sources

Post by Platonian »

Does anyone know of a canon source that lists diplomatic relations between various governments at various times? There are a few references that pop up occasionally, such as a Cardassian embassy on Romulus, but nothing definitive and comprehensive, as far as I know.

I would also appreciate citations from episodes & movies of formal diplomatic relations (such as the DS9 reference, above).

Thanks in advance!
"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity."
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Diplomatic Relations from Canon Sources

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, there's a Romulan ambassador to the Federation in Star trek VI. Nanclus IIRC.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ah, you answered your own question. To put it it simply, the answer is "the TV shows and movies." This isn't Star Wars - the only thing that can be canon is the movies and TV shows.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Platonian

Post by Platonian »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, there's a Romulan ambassador to the Federation in Star trek VI. Nanclus IIRC.
Thanks, this is the kind of response I was seeking.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nanclus was also named as part of the conspiracy by Valeris, which may have strained relations a little after ST VI.

Prior to 2266 there were no face to face contacts - the Earth Romulan war was ended with negotiations via subspace communications.

In 2311 there was the Tomed Incident between the Federation and the Romulans. This led to the loss of thousands of lives, and the Romulans breaking off contact with the Federation for the following fifty years. There was "barely a whisper" out of the Romulans for that time, according to Picard in "he Neutral Zone". Everyone talked as if there was no contact at all. The Romulans claimed that "Matters more urgent caused our absence."

Regarding the Cardassians and Klingons, in "The Way of the Warrior "we got this exchange :

Elim Garak: "What I can't understand is that inexplicable hostility toward me. Maligning Constable Odo was one thing; after all he's a changeling. The Klingons don't know him as well as we do. But relations between the Klingon and Cardassian Empires have never been anything but amicable."
Doctor Bashir: "With the exception of the Betreka Nebula incident."
Elim Garak: "A minor skirmish."
Doctor Bashir: "It lasted eighteen years!"
Elim Garak: "It was ages ago. Perhaps... they've decided they just didn't like me."

In the book "The Art of the Impossible", the Betreka Nebula Incident takes place between 2328 and 2346.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Platonian

Post by Platonian »

Thanks, Graham.

Ideally, I would like to see -- and help in compiling -- as complete a list as possible of diplomatic relations over time between the various ST governments from canon sources. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think such a list currently exists.

It seems references to formal diplomatic relations are rather spotty and anecdotal. Is it possible that we have already identified all of them?

There are internal UFP ambassadors featured in TOS "Journey to Babel." These seem to be ambassadors from UFP member governments (Andorian, Tellarite, Vulcan). The note concluding the analysis for this episode is quite interesting:
It all goes to a model of the Federation that is closer to the UN model than the kind of thing we see in TNG, where the Federation seems more like the USA, with member planets being like individual states.
This is an extremely interesting, dare I say fascinating :wink:, observation about the political evolution of the UFP.

If you type "ambassador" into the DITL search engine, you get quite a list of people. Having just done this, I haven't reviewed all the entries, but I shall do so. Perhaps that will help me with this endeavor.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Platonian wrote:from canon sources
You keep saying this, and I hope you understand that this limits your options. No books, no fic, no speculation - canon is strictly what has appeared on either the smll screen or the big screen. Even scripts are technically non-canon.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer