Michael Dorn Confirms He’s Working on a new Star Trek series

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael Dorn Confirms He’s Working on a new Star Trek series

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Geek favorites Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer have been forthcoming about their hopes for bringing Star Trek back to the small screen, after the release of J.J. Abrams’ elusive sequel to his Trek movie reboot next summer. However, it turns out those two aren’t the only ones with big dreams about a new TV series set in that sci-fi universe – Michael Dorn is also taking steps to reprise his signature Trek role on a spinoff, tentatively titled Star Trek: Captain Worf.

Worf, Son of Mogh, of course, is the first Klingon main character on a Star Trek TV series. He appeared on The Next Generation throughout its seven-season run, then became a Deep Space Nine regular for its last four seasons. Dorn portrayed Worf in all four Next Generation films; in addition, he played Worf’s grandfather, Colonel Worf, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Rumors and reports about a prospective Worf spinoff began circulating earlier this year – which, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, marks the 25th anniversary of The Next Generation. Trek News caught up with recently with Dorn, who gave them the following exclusive “scoop” on the project:
“I had come up with the idea because I love [Worf] and I think he’s a character that hasn’t been fully developed and hasn’t been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We’ve been contacted by different individuals–I can’t say who and all that–about wanting to come on board and be part of this. “
Hmmmm. I am kind of dubious, but maybe...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Michael Dorn Confirms He’s Working on a new Star Trek se

Post by Teaos »

As much as I'd like ST back on the small screen in the original universe... I cant see this being it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Haven't we heard about this about once a year for the last 5 years?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Mikey wrote:Haven't we heard about this about once a year for the last 5 years?
I only noticed it starting a couple of years ago, but I've seen it about every 3 months. I'd like it to be true, but it is highly likely not to be.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Teaos wrote:As much as I'd like ST back on the small screen in the original universe... I cant see this being it.
Nor can I. As good and fleshed out of a character as Worf is, basing an entire series on him doesn't sound appealing. It also comes across as almost egocentric.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reminds me of the decade or so that Takei spent lobbying for a "Captain Sulu" film or series after ST VI.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Reminds me of the decade or so that Takei spent lobbying for a "Captain Sulu" film or series after ST VI.
That I would have loved.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah that seems more doable.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Hi everybody, btw.

I don't think this is a "bad" idea. In fact I thought about "what about in the future some Trek series about a Klingon ship?" or similar even back during late TNG days.

But I won't lie-- I'd take *anything* over something set in the reboot movie universe. Enterprise already went down the "let's just kinda make up the timeline from scratch" thing and I hated most aspects of it. I appreciated the reboot movie (haven't seen the 2nd one) only as a movie and as a fanservice to lovers of TOS, but regarded it as very poor Trek.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Couldn't agree more.

The reboot universe isn't suited for tv as it is heavily reliant on CGI.

Welcome back :)

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:Couldn't agree more.

The reboot universe isn't suited for tv as it is heavily reliant on CGI.

Welcome back :)
That plus, as I believe others discussed somewhere or other... signing the movie cast to transition to a TV series is probably just a complete pipedream, and if they continue to make reboot movies it would be awkward if a TV show is following those same characters played by all different actors and doing different things.

I know Paramount kinda ran around with its hair on fire with the whole "omg franchise oversaturation" thing, but I'm ready for just some old-fashioned "TNG feel" Trek again. I don't need prequels, re-quels, reboots, start-overs, alternated mangled timelines, alternate dimensions, Star Trek SG1, etc. We're talking over a decade now since a real Trek was on the air, and with Stargate and BSG and Firefly all in the near equally distant past at this point, there's kind of a dearth of good sci fi at the moment imo, so I don't think "we can't do a TNG style Trek, people are tired of it" would be valid anymore.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think Alien ala Klingon could work for fans, but it would almost be TOO alien for the general public, they couldnt relate.

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Now I like Worf.....but honeslty...he is pretty much fleshed out already....
and I think he’s a character that hasn’t been fully developed and hasn’t been fully realized
Not sure I can agree with that. It's like making a series about Chief O'Brien.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I really can not think of a Star Trek series based on a single character.

Only Quark and Odo would be a good series however they are not human and would have the issue of the general population not connecting with them. Just like a B5 G'Kar and Molari series. It would be awesome for the fans but not the general viewer.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

The point of most of the show is explore the human condition. That's why there's always been a non-human component to all the shows--to use as both a vehicle and a lens for that exploration. Basing it solely on an all alien crew removes that element--interesting for Trekkies alone.

We all have a fairly good idea of what would not work, does anyone know what would work to bring it back on tv?