Where are the Navigational Deflectors of other races' ships?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Where are the Navigational Deflectors of other races' ships?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

They must serve some important function since most Federation designs feature one prominently; but no other race has ships featuring a visible part with this function. I mean, in addition to the navigational function it's named for, where would a Klingon ship fire a phased Thorion beam or a modulated Metrion beam from should the need ever arise? :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can only think they either incorperated it into the weapons systems or a Shield emitter.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Fed ships are the only ones I'm aware of that have dedicated nav deflectors. Since they're vital components, all others must have them, albeit using less visible designs. There are two possible options - either the deflector is, as Reliant pointed out, incorporated into the ship's weapons, or the Feds are unusual in using a deflector beam in addition to normal shielding. It may be a combination of both - using static shields like the Feds, but simply blasting larger objects instead of deflecting them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

That still leaves the question of where a Romulan ship would fire a polarized Tomitron beam from. :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Probably the forward Disrupter array. Unless they uncorperated such features into the Warp Nacelles.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

It was written in one of the Technical manuals that one of the purposes of the phasers was to blast away objects too large to be handled by the navigational deflectors. So, the Federation uses phasers to clear away material, but still uses the deflector, and other races don't. :?:

Also, the navigational deflector, to perform it's stated function, should be at the very front of the ship like the Nova's or Defiant's. Other ships have the bulk of the overhanging saucer infringing on the Deflector's range of operation.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Who needs all that nonsense?

Fed solution: "This looks complicated, we'll *insert technobabble solution here*

Everyone else's solution: "This looks complicated, we'll need a bigger hammer.

:lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I totally agree with option 2! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This topic has been official 'de-topicinated'.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Get used to it. It happens in pretty much every thread here. :)

Congrats on the promotion, by the way.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

thank you. It isn't official yet but hey.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Why would the nav deflector have to be at the foremost section of the ship? If shield generators can project a bubble-type shield over a small distance, why wouldn't the nav deflector be able to do the same?

BTW, congrats, Reliant. And the phenomenon you're seeing is called "TR-116 syndrome (q.v.)"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Mikey wrote:Why would the nav deflector have to be at the foremost section of the ship? If shield generators can project a bubble-type shield over a small distance, why wouldn't the nav deflector be able to do the same?

BTW, congrats, Reliant. And the phenomenon you're seeing is called "TR-116 syndrome (q.v.)"
I was referencing the deflector beam it supposedly produces to push aside objects too large to be deflected by the deflector field (or, for that matter, any of the other assorted sorts of beams it is called on to project every other episode :roll: )
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, you're right about the endless array of "magic" beams of which it seems to be capable of, but I always saw the nav deflector beam itself as an analog of a pump-fed grenade launcher - not effective until out to a certain minimum range.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer