Ron Moore: Trek “Demands a Return to Television”

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Ron Moore: Trek “Demands a Return to Television”

Post by Teaos »

sunnyside wrote:Realistically if it made it back to TV I think it'd have to be Abramsverse. I wonder if it would be possible to get the cast from the movies?

To an extent I think it might be interesting to see them occasionally exploring the same scenarios, just with the slightly twisted mentality of the Abramsverse. It'd be all new to the younglings, and I think even if the "twist" was spoiled for existing Trekkies I think we'd just get excited with our secret knowledge the crew doesn't have and wait to see how they deal with things.

You couldn't do that every episode though. Personally I'd like the idea of doing more with non-humanoids or at least non-humans. But I doubt that would play very well.

I doubt they could get any of the Movie actors, appart from the odd cameo, like Agents of SHIELD. Movie actors dont like lowering themselves to TV, and TV cant afford them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Teaos wrote:I doubt they could get any of the Movie actors, appart from the odd cameo, like Agents of SHIELD. Movie actors dont like lowering themselves to TV, and TV cant afford them.
Well, the actor playing Bones was in a TV series (Almost Human) and I don't know if that's being renewed.

Actually while a bit off of the typical, a "medical drama in space" might actually be interesting. (or I guess you could do some kinda scenario where you get whichever of the crew you can get stranded away from the others).

Ah well. It seems Trek is in an awkward spot. I'd like a TV series, but it might just not be feasible.

...Although they could do kinda like Star Wars did and go Animated/CGI. Perhaps a notch above SW in production value though.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Almost Human is still being debated on whether they are going good for a second season. Some say they probably will since many of Fox's shows got cancelled and Almost Human does have a decent enough ratings. But Fox has hardly ever been able to keep anything Sci Fi on air for too long.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Last I heard, they were cancelled.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Last I heard, they were cancelled.
Looks like it: http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/fox-dra ... cancelled/
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Last I heard, they were cancelled.
It is Fox.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Never seen it or heard much about it. Worth a shot?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Never seen it or heard much about it. Worth a shot?
Futuristic cop show with a cyborg sidekick with Karl Urban as a gruff human.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The cast was fantastic, but the plot went nowhere; I think the procedural nature turned a lot of people off. There were hints of a main plot, but they barely touched it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, it was around midseason that they started dropping hints to a larger story. References to "The Wall", introducing the genetically engineered people, etc.

I enjoyed it, and I was more and more interested as it went on. Shame it's been canned.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Writers tend to forget that the first five episodes of a TV series will make or break a show.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah especially nowadays and most especially on expensive ones.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's a shame, though. A show needs time to find its feet and experiment a little. How many potentially great shows are lost because they had a few missteps in the first few weeks?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...