Trek Law

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Trek Law

Post by Teaos »

So we know the Gene laid down some basic rules and laws that all writers/producers/directors of trek had to follow regardless of their story line. Examples of his are, Bridge must be on the top, good guys dont use cloaks, nacelles always come in pairs and be visible. Rules like these help unify a series, and several series with an over all theme that is recognizable even over multiple series over decades. Some of these rules are good, such as the paired nacelles, they add a continuity in design and can be explained in story be saying that is just an aspect of the tech. The bridge is a bit iffy, sure it adds drama and design continuity, but there is no good logical explanation for it.

So I thought it would be fun to try and design a new set of Trek Law, that should be applied to all new trek what ever it be, rules have to give room for a writer to explore lots of options, but also provide continuity.

Trek Law

I - Technology is a tool not the answer. The characters solver problems through logic and planning, not magical technology.

II - In discriminant death, if an event happens that kills people at random, main characters should have the same fatality as extras. Character shields do not apply.

III- ?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Trek Law

Post by Atekimogus »

3.) Don't add characters just for variety's sake only to ignore them later on or be dicks to them. (ohh..we need a black spanish speaking android made in china). Real people with real dialogue, nobody cares where they come from.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

4) Transporters will not malfunction as a result of a lazy plot device or writing. A malfunctioning transporter will be used only three times in a series. Use it wisely. An additional fourth can be used if given a waiver if the plot is exceedingly cool.

5) Same as 4 but with holodecks.

6) When introducing or using an existing extremely powerful villain or foe, much care will be taken to not overuse or weaken them to fulfill storylines.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

7) Trek is Sci-fi. That is all.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

8. Shuttles will not crash 2 out of every 3 journeys.
9. Main characters may travel to conferences without fear of being kidnapped.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

10.) Holodecks shall be used for scientific simulations and training without ever malfunctioning, not for jerking off. They are far to usefull a tool to waste them on rest and recreation. You want that, you have to pay the next ferengi with holosuits. (Just thinking how many adulescent are wanting to join starfleet just to get a chance to getting busy with the playmates of the year 2000-2369. :mrgreen: )
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

To be honest, I'd keep character shields. Although there are exceptions, I'm not that big a fan of indiscriminate death among character I've been following for a while.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It's not about killing characters. It's Biut having them survive stuff other people wouldn't. Like them shaking off a phaser to the chest but red shuts dying from a shit to be arm. Be consistent.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:It's not about killing characters. It's Biut having them survive stuff other people wouldn't. Like them shaking off a phaser to the chest but red shuts dying from a shit to be arm. Be consistent.
Okay, that I can get behind.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:It's not about killing characters. It's Biut having them survive stuff other people wouldn't. Like them shaking off a phaser to the chest but red shuts dying from a shit to be arm. Be consistent.
'Shit to the arm'

You can die from that? I better put down the needle then.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

McAvoy wrote:'Shit to the arm'

You can die from that?
Vets succumb to it all the time. Usually from Cows.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Woosh!

That is the sound of sarcasm going over your head.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Erm, no.