Picard was a F* pimp!

How many girls did he keep on the side!

We may never know! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Not sure where Archer would fit into all this, Enterprise wasn't about when I did the study.
Sam Becket of course. :wink: Lots of confusing stuff involving time, and gets advised by a bloke from the future.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wow, I wonder where they got that idea from. :roll: :idea:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it seems Graham hit the nail on the head there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

*EDIT*

My bad. :?
Last edited by Deepcrush on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wrong thread! :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It bothers me ever so much with the way that wars are handled. The UFP has become very abrassive in TNG. A careful balance of avoiding war but also in pulling in allies. The klingons for example showed constact action in which the UFP should have called for a halt yet never spoke up about. The cardassians with bajor is another thing. To stand by and let a world be destroyed for no reason is just unthinkable. How could GR think that humanity was utopian if they weren't willing to care about anyone but themselves? TNG bothered me a great deal. Not as much as ENT but still pretty bad.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It all came from an extremely simple-minded reading of history - that superpowers getting involved in the affairs of other nations, particularly less advanced ones, is universally a bad thing. This leads to events such as "Homewards", where the Prime Directive lead to the obliteration of an entire sapient species, and the crew were proud of themselves for allowing said obliteration to occur despite being in a position to prevent it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:It bothers me ever so much with the way that wars are handled. The UFP has become very abrassive in TNG. A careful balance of avoiding war but also in pulling in allies. The klingons for example showed constact action in which the UFP should have called for a halt yet never spoke up about. The cardassians with bajor is another thing. To stand by and let a world be destroyed for no reason is just unthinkable. How could GR think that humanity was utopian if they weren't willing to care about anyone but themselves? TNG bothered me a great deal. Not as much as ENT but still pretty bad.
If you look at it as a problem with the writing, then it's a pretty justified criticism. The UFP tries to have zero impact on other planets, but this is simply an impossibility. Most especially so as the prime directive does not apply to civilians, as Angel One states.

Looked at within the context of the show... Picard has stated that every single time the Federation has interfered with a less developed culture, the results have been disasterous. If so then the Prime Directive isn't some arbitrary rule, it's a basic necessity, because positive interference is simply an impossibility.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Looked at within the context of the show... Picard has stated that every single time the Federation has interfered with a less developed culture, the results have been disasterous. If so then the Prime Directive isn't some arbitrary rule, it's a basic necessity, because positive interference is simply an impossibility.
The point at which that argument fails is "Homeward". While the fundamental argument that "interfering in other people's affairs is a bad thing" is sound, to take the principle so literally as to argue that interference would do more damage to a culture than extinction is ludicrous.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The prime directive is a load of crap wrapped in Janeway's used tampons and toilet paper. It is filled with holes and cracks that people slip through and leaves no room for error. Either you follow it or you have to break it. There is no gray area to work with. Interference is sometimes needed. The race in question doesn't have to know that you are there but you have to do something for the greater good. If you can act without the race knowing you are there then you should. There is no excuse to let people die if only pushing a button or two could save them.