So how did you get into Star Trek?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: So how did you get into Star Trek?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A month after Voyager... dang, Reliant. Get off mah lawn! ;)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I was born 1 year before TNG.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:I was born a month after Voyager was first aired in the US (January 1995 was when it aired).
Lord, I feel old. :(
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Born a few years before TNG.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:A month after Voyager... dang, Reliant. Get off mah lawn! ;)
GrahamKennedy wrote:Lord, I feel old. :(
Sorry about that :wink:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

We forgive you, Reliant. Now get off mah lawn. :lol:
Akira Takei
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Akira Takei »

I got into Star Trek when I was nine years old. By big brother talked me into watching First Contact with him. After that I watched TNG & DS9 on Spike TV, as well as Voyager on DVD. At first, I only watched Star Trek for the ship battles, but I grew to love every aspect of it. :)
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well... I would probably not have known Star Trek without Star Wars. ^^

I was born in 1991, and the mainstream channel in France only showed TOS between 1982 and... 1991. All the other Star Trek shows and movies were shown on Jimmy, only available on satellites and cable television (who have never been as popular in France as others countries and now dying because of TV by xDSL, I only had Jimmy after 2006 to 2013 and they stopped Star Trek before 2010).

But in 1997 there wars Star Wars Special Edition and I discovered it in theatre. I became a fan of Science Fiction thanks to the Skywalker Family and at the same moment there was Star Trek on VHS at your nearest newspapers store and my grandparent had one of them at the time. The First VHS was First Contact... Rightly named for a first contact with that saga ^^ Even if I didn't catch all the VHS (after a time it was interrupted as usual except if you paid for all of them before), I discovered that saga and... we are in 2014 and I am here, I had the DVD by the same way and as my grand parents are now retired, I am replacing my DVD by Blu-Rays slowly, with the great advantage of having seasons in order and complete for the first time ^^

Because of that I have seen Sacrifice of Angels before The Nagus ^^

But if VHS were in disorder (all the movies and episodes from every show except Enterprise (of course as it didn't existed) were catched), DVD were doing in better order as if they put only 1 DVD of TOS, they also gave all the movies up to Nemesis (my first Star Trek in Theatre) and almost all of The Next Generation (it was cut during season 6 but I had some TNG and DS9 DVD's at Christmas since ^^). I saw a lot of Enterprise and Voyager on Jimmy (I have almost seen nothing of Kes but almost all of Seven of Nine ^^).

At least one channel available to every houses had a special programmation when Into Darkness came to theatre (6 movies with Shatner, First Contact and 2 documentaries).. But she is common with Germany and that channel, Arte, often show what the others don't, including movies that have never been dubbed in French (the other channels can't do that).
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I should mention I liked Star Wars before Star Trek too. I also up until maybe season 2 or 3 of DS9 I watched TNG and TOS at 7pm on weekdays. Either that or Married with Children.

It wasn't until 1994 right after the finale of TNG I got into Trek big time. Eventually after maybe 15 years that my interest wanes where I barely have anything of Trek. After giving or selling most of stuff away.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I liked Trek first then Wars. The snipits I had seen if Wars made it seem more childish than the often serious trek.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I never really got into Star Wars until Attack of the Clones, and I only watched that because I had a major crush on Hayden Christensen.

I still prefer Star Trek, but I have since seen every Star Wars film. However, I tend to focus nowadays on my own created universe, and rarely watch TV.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I got into Star Wars proper through the Young Jedi Knight book series. Before that it was kind of just... there. I'd watch a bit of it on TV... but if something else was on I'd change the channel.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I come from third world country, born 1979. The country's two television stations had Star Trek in the 80's. Elder brothers (my seniors by 16 and 18 years respectively) had seen this in their youth and so they put me on to it. There wasn't much to do but homework, playing outside, listen to parents fight, and TV. The only thing I like at that age though was the special effects. Of course the 80's were a different time. Knight Rider, the A-Team, Airwolf, Magnum PI, Dallas. None of those shows had phasers!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I got into Star Wars proper through the Young Jedi Knight book series. Before that it was kind of just... there. I'd watch a bit of it on TV... but if something else was on I'd change the channel.
As a child, Star Wars scared me. Actually the first experience I had with Star Wars was watching the Emperor electrocute Luke. Since I am a wuss, I cried and ran away to bed.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I started out watching (but not understanding) TNG. I was born the year it aired I think. What really got me into the rest of trek were the first Star Trek DOS games. They were fun so I watched everything of TOS I could find. Still haven't seen a few episodes.
Then DS9 came out (as I was catching up on TNG) and from there I didn't miss an episode.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.