Destiny Trilogy...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Destiny Trilogy...

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Anybody read the Destiny trilogy?

I just finished it... apparently with no prospect of a new Trek series or film set in the post Voyager prime universe era, the powers that be have told the novel writers that it is now their playground, and they are free to avoid the "reset button" and permanently change characters and settings as they please. And wow, in the Destiny trilogy David Mack has gone BIG.

Just for starters, we get...

Picard and Beverly married, and Beverly pregnant with Picard's child.

Captain Ezri Dax of the Starship Aventine... complete with prototype slipstream drive...

Chakotay in command of Voyager.

The most powerful corporeal (semi corporeal, really) species in the history of Trek.

The fate of the NX-02.

Also, throw in Riker and Troi on the USS Titan.

Oh, and we discover the origin of the Borg.

And in spoileriffic territory, we also get...
The Borg return... and have decided that they are fed up with messing around with the Federation. So they're not interested in assimilation any more, but in extermination. The alpha quadrant sends out a combined fleet of Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Breen, Ferengi, Gorn... you name it, just about every species in the Alpha quadrant sends every ship they can spare.
And in SUPER spoileriffic territory...
...then seven thousand Borg cubes show up and obliterate the entire fleet in ten minutes flat. Including destroying Voyager. (Chakotay survives). They then set off to annhilate every single inhabited planet, Starbase, colony, outpost, and trace of civilisation in the entire quadrant.
And in HYPER spoiler territory...
By the end of the last book, dozens of Federation and other planets have been destroyed, seventy billion people are dead... and the Borg are gone. Not from the alpha quadrant... gone from everywhere. Every last Borg in existence, completely freed from the Collective and all implants removed. The Collective itself completely disbanded, permanently, and the Borg species rendered extinct.
It's really quite an impressive trilogy. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Destiny Trilogy...

Post by Captain Seafort »

Did the Borg happen to develop masochistic tendencies, organic technology and an obsession with twins along the way?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Did the Borg happen to develop masochistic tendencies, organic technology and an obsession with twins along the way?
Huh?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It was kinda explained in the books leading up to it. I have no idea what since they were kinda forgetable to begin with.

Yeha it is an impressive trilogy and well thought out as well.

I read all three books in two days flat.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:It was kinda explained in the books leading up to it. I have no idea what since they were kinda forgetable to begin with.

I think I read about one a day. :)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:Did the Borg happen to develop masochistic tendencies, organic technology and an obsession with twins along the way?
I wish I could 'like' this post. :D :mrgreen:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
Huh?
The Vong from the Star Wars NJO series.

Anyway, I read it.
I... didn't like Maria Hernandez or the Caeliar. Just to super-special for my tastes. Although Picard and Crusher getting together-finally!-was cool.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The Vong from the Star Wars NJO series.
Ah. Don't know them I'm afraid.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Lucky.[dead_serious]
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:It was kinda explained in the books leading up to it. I have no idea what since they were kinda forgetable to begin with.

I think I read about one a day. :)
It's honestly the best series of books based on a franchise I have read in a long time. I have given up on Star Wars though the latest series had potential.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
They are something that makes Striker angry. Last time someone brought this up, he was cussing and ranting all over the place.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nutso wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
They are something that makes Striker angry. Last time someone brought this up, he was cussing and ranting all over the place.
Wait for it...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Was quite a shock to see, actually. Never seen him express more than mild annoyance and these books seem to generate a boiling rage.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, I remember hearing about these books. I also remember why I haven't bothered reading them.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The Vong was the first thing that I thought of when reading the first post. The first book with the Vong knocked me right out of the Star Wars books full stop. I didn't even finish that one and never picked up another.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

So... what was the origin of the Borg? V'Ger?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...