3-D Printing as Precursor to Replication?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Platonian
Senior chief petty officer

3-D Printing as Precursor to Replication?

Post by Platonian »

Here's an interesting (well, to me at least! :) ) article: The Future Of Flight: 3-D Printed Planes.

I wonder if such 3-D printing might be a functional, if not actual, forerunner of industrial replicators?

FYI, I did re-read the DITL entry on replicators before posting this. The following passage from the DITL entry is echoed in the 3-D printing article:
However, these replicator systems are limited in their abilities - the main such limit being the size of the object produced. For larger manufactured items, it is necessary to replicate smaller components and assemble them via traditional methods. Unfortunately the dream of the replicated skyscraper or starship remains a long way off!
"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity."
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: 3-D Printing as Precursor to Replication?

Post by Teaos »

From what I see, in 5 or so years most middle class homes will have a standard 3D printer able to print basic designes ect. Then there will be a much more advanced (and expensive one) down at the local supermarket/hardware store, that you email an order into in the morning and pick it up at night.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Seems to me that the only difference (in principle) between today's 3D printers and Star Trek's replicators is that today we use a print head to assemble the item particle by particle, and in Trek they use little transporters.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Platonian

Post by Platonian »

Interesting observation.

Thanks, Tiberius!
"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity."
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I wonder if someone out there is creating and gathering plans for 3D printing to sell once it becomes common place.

Me, I would love to be able to print scale parts of model warships.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"