Star Trek VI (Just Noticed Something Interesting)

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Star Trek VI (Just Noticed Something Interesting)

Post by Bryan Moore »

During the briefing of the President by Colonel West, the chart for Operation Retrieve shows 3 separate charts detailing the plan to get Kirk/McCoy back. Every single one of them has Rura Penthe as the focus of the action! So I am thinking either:

1) Kirk/McCoy were being held there while awaiting trial.

2) It was assumed they would be there before/after the trial.

3) The top brass of Starfleet and the Klingon judiciary system were part of the conspiracy to get them on Rura Penthe so they could be assassinated (which would be silly, as they could just be executed anyway).

4) There was already some sort of deal being worked out between Starfleet/Klingons to get them to Rura Penthe.

5) The writers weren't thinking/this means nothing.

We could debate this for hours, but in the dozens of times that I have watched this movie, this is the first I have noticed this. Answer 5 is the most likely of my choices, but this really got my head spinning. This smells of Section 31.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

I'd say that Starfleet knew that Kirk and McCoy were going to be executed, so using the peacetalks as leverage they got the Klingons to forego execution. Starfleet would have known that they would be going to Rura Penthe, being as famous as it is, and they weren't about to let Kirk go to hell, so they were going to rescue him. And hopefully pick up McCoy as well. They figured that the Klingons would be in the middle of demilitarising near the Federation border in order to get resources back to Qonos, so the Federation task force would face little competition. And by the time the klingons were able to get their forces to bear on the Federation, the Feds would be in a position to blow them to pieces.

It all comes back to the Feds knowing that Kirk would be sent to Rura penthe instead of being killed because the klingons couldn't afford to risk the peace talks.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good spotting, Bryan. I'd never noticed that myself, before.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeahh, what can I say... watching things for the 48th time still can bring joy and meaning =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?