Gallery: Visions of Interstellar Starship Travel

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Platonian
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Platonian »

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! :)

Were the following issues ever addressed in the ST universe?

Slide 8 of 43: "While Bussard's spacecraft concept looks appealing, calculations have shown that the thrust of the engine may not be enough to overcome drag caused by the magnetic funnel." (Ref.: Bussard collectors -- is this applicable?)

Slide 18 of 43: "VARIES – Vacuum to Antimatter Rocket Interstellar Explorer System, is a concept from Richard Obousy that would use enormous solar arrays to generate power for extremely powerful lasers, which, when fired at empty space, would create particles of antimatter which could be stored and used as fuel. The process would be used at the vehicle's destination to create fuel for the return journey."

(emphases added)
"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity."
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gallery: Visions of Interstellar Starship Travel

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Despite the name, Trek ships aren't an interstellar Bussard ramjet. The collectors are only really there for an emergency/auxiliary fuel supply, IIRC, they really don't fuel the vessel for flight.

As for antimatter, so far as I know where the Federation gets all that antimatter from has never even been hinted at. One can only assume that there are some sort of antimatter creation facilities somewhere, but what powers them? Massive fusion reactors, perhaps.

In my Coalition universe, they build vast solar collectors close to the sun and power antimatter generators with them. Maybe Trek does something like that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Actually according to the TNG tech manual they do exactly that, huge solar arrays in close solar orbit. They use solar power because of the inherent inefficiency of the conversion process.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ha, great minds...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Logical minds :p
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Hmmm, now if we could just get people over that childish knee jerk response to nuclear power. !ouch) :poke:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Vic wrote:Hmmm, now if we could just get people over that childish knee jerk response to nuclear power. !ouch) :poke:
NIMBY!
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, we'll bitch and moan about CO2, pollution, and energy independence but latch onto the one viable technology we have to solve all those problems? Nope.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:No, we'll bitch and moan about CO2, pollution, and energy independence but latch onto the one viable technology we have to solve all those problems? Nope.
In fact, we'll have nutjobs like Sierra Club, who CLAIM to act in support of the environment, go to court to squash any attempt to move away from destructive conventional energy sources (cf., Yucca Mountain.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer