Trek-like technology in the real world.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Trek-like technology in the real world.

Post by kostmayer »

At the moment I have an old PDA which is rather like a Star Trek PADD, and have looked (with no avail), for software or a theme that would make it look or act as one. Right now I'm trying to stop myself from buying one of those Asus EEE Laptops, which isn't helped by the fact that the black ones look like one of those cute TNG computers that Picard has in his ready room.

And of course theres the flip phones that look like TOS communicators.

Anyone else own or want to own a gadget because it is similiar to Trek technology, or (very likely), is it just me?
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

The first thing I did when I got a folding phone was master the art of flipping it open one-handed. The trick is to get the top of your thumbnail under the seam and use that to flick it open while making the Kirkian arm movement.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Problem was, you had to push buttons, if you wanted to call someone. Though with todays voice activated phones, could you work one by flipping it open and saying "Captain Kostmayer to Dad" into the mouthpiece?

My newer phone/pda makes the communicator noise of Blake's 7 when I get a message which is great except for when I'm watching Blake's 7 and I keep picking it up cause I think I've got a message.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Yeah, you probably could do that with the voice command feature, but I have never bothered to set up the voice commands. Seems to be tailored for those trying to use the things in the car, which I don't.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

http://www.stim.com/Stim-x/0996Septembe ... order.html

Anyone remember this beast? Great idea, I suppose.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Wait...are these for real? How much do they cost?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I... think I remember reading about those, actually. Man, but it's been a while!

And I have no problem with it being based on ST... but I may be biased. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That is pretty damn cool, especially the EM sensor.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939