Star Trek: The Typhon Pact

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Star Trek: The Typhon Pact

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I finally got back into Trek books again within the past months and I have to say, I am really liking the Destiny Trilogy (which does away with the Borg once and for all and has major consequences that affect all of the novel series equally) and the post-Destiny Typhon Pact books. It seems to me modern Trek books are really going in the direction of trying to unify the different elements of all the series in a way that makes sense, instead of authors just writing whatever they want -- and doing it much better than say the Star Wars EU. I'm also enjoying the things the authors are doing in their books such as in one case trying to salvage some dignity for moments in other series.

In a paragraph of the Star Trek: The Typhon Pact novel "Seize the Fire" focusing on the adventures of the U.S.S Titan and their encounter with the Breen Michael A. Martin skillfully tries to recover some of that dignity for the Enterprise series finale.
Star Trek: The Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire wrote: "...Riker said, after pausing briefly to consider how much he ought to tell him about his occasional hobby of running holodeck reenactments of pivotal moments in the history of Earth and Starfleet. He had participated in faithfully rendered holoprograms such as James Kirk's initial confrontation a Gorn starship captain, and stinkers like the wildly inaccurate holoaccount of Enterprise NX-01's adventures on the eve of the signing of the Federation Charter.
Anybody else reading these novels? And/or know what the proper order of the Typhon Pact stories is?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek: The Typhon Pact

Post by stitch626 »

I now must read this author's books, for with that line, he has made me an instant fan.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

sweet I have been wanting to read some Trek books for awhile now. Where do you recommend I start?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I started with the DS9/Voyager "Relaunch" series'. There's also a series of a TNG books that take place in the year or so leading up to Nemesis which I never got around to finishing. The Star Trek: Titan books are pretty good, but I haven't ready many of the exclusively TNG post-Nemesis books. I do know in general,
ding dong Janeway's "dead"
and
Picard and Crusher get together, Riker and Troi have a daughter
I found the Destiny Trilogy in a used book store as part of a 2 for 3 deal and loved it. And the subsequent Typhon Pact novels are, I think, some of the best Trek writing I've seen in years.

As an example of another exchange, in Star Trek TNG: Losing the Peace, Picard is offered a promotion to Admiralty by the Chief of Starfleet for his correct (but rash) decisions:
Star Trek the Next Generation: Losing the Peace wrote: "You've proven yourself. You've earned this. It's the chance for you to make a real difference."

Picard chuckled to himself, "A wise man once told me, "Don't let them promote you, don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship. Because while you're there, you can make a difference."

Akaar rolled his eyes, "And what fool told you that?"

"Admiral James T Kirk."

Leonard James Akaar was, for the first time in Picard's experience, left speechless. ... "There's little point in arguing with that then," he muttered
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Technically he was a Captain.

I did enjoy the Destiny trilogy and the Lost Era (?). But that is it. I did like the Romulan War in the ENT novels.

But really some of it reads like fan fiction than professional writing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. Some of it's hit-and-miss for me, too. I do love that they're more interconnected, but can still be read independently.

Also, get 'Articles of the Federation'. It's a look into one year of Federation president Nanietta Bacco.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah. Some of it's hit-and-miss for me, too. I do love that they're more interconnected, but can still be read independently.

Also, get 'Articles of the Federation'. It's a look into one year of Federation president Nanietta Bacco.
After reading about what I presume is her 2nd or 3rd year, do I want to see the first? :lol:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah. Some of it's hit-and-miss for me, too. I do love that they're more interconnected, but can still be read independently.

After reading about what I presume is her 2nd or 3rd year, do I want to see the first? :lol:
Actually... yeah. ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I am enjoying the look the books are given at the politics of the Federation and it's allies/enemies. For the first time in a while I'm getting the sense that these are real people operating in a real world rather than just the personification of perfection.

I don't know how much you've read but I just finished "Rough Beasts of Empire"
I feel like Donatra really gets a raw deal
Redwarf
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Redwarf »

I too have recently started reading the books. It was that graphic of the crashed NX-02 surrounded by runabouts and shuttles that made me look at Destiny. Loved it, thought I'd read all the re-launch series. Then I read the "Death in Winter'" and "Resistance" books, and those were utterly terrible. Thats the stuff that reads like fanfic.

I'm reading the Cold Equations series now. It is written by David Mack, who wrote the Destiny series, and so far it does not disappoint at all. Mack's writings do much to make the starships feel like the crew actually does things, rather than just the main-cast.

I'd like to read more, but am deathly afraid of the fanfic style.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Redwarf wrote:I too have recently started reading the books. It was that graphic of the crashed NX-02 surrounded by runabouts and shuttles that made me look at Destiny. Loved it, thought I'd read all the re-launch series. Then I read the "Death in Winter'" and "Resistance" books, and those were utterly terrible. Thats the stuff that reads like fanfic.

I'm reading the Cold Equations series now. It is written by David Mack, who wrote the Destiny series, and so far it does not disappoint at all. Mack's writings do much to make the starships feel like the crew actually does things, rather than just the main-cast.

I'd like to read more, but am deathly afraid of the fanfic style.
The Typhon Pact books after Destiny are very good I find. In my opinion they do not read like fanfic.