BOTF

Trek Books, Games and General chat
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

BOTF

Post by DBS »

Anyone play Birth of the Federation? I particularly enjoy that game!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Never heard of it, whats it about? Is it any good?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

It is an older (1998-2000ish) turn-based strategy game. You play as Federation :), Romulans :twisted: , Klingons :evil:, Cardassians :x , or Ferengi :shock:

You build up star systems and planets with industrial capacity, research, intel, and food. Then you build colony ships to expand your race, and starships (which are mostly canon) to attack/defend/explore/conquer/dominate.

As an older game, it has been cracked and can be heavily modded, so I was wondering if anyone had ideas or had done anything with it?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
vanar
Crewman
Crewman

Post by vanar »

I still play it, thank god for the XP patch, now if only someone would patch Klingon Acadamy
sw-880
Crewman
Crewman

Post by sw-880 »

Once I found the XP patch I began playing it again, even managed to find a few players online. It wasn't much fun though as it was hard to build up a decent empire before someone wiped everyone out with a fleet of scout ships before the 100th turn.

I still have fond memories of single player though, loved it when the Borg would attack :-)
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

For some strange reason, whenever my friend I used to play that with and I got to building Sovereigns and the USS Nimitz was built, that ship was well-nigh indestructible. We would intentionally put it into near-impossible situations and watch it survive battle after battle. It was as if it used the debris of the rest of the fleet, including other Sovereigns, as a shield.

As I recall all the ship names the game could use were stored in a text file . . . I was sorely tempted once to try to edit all the Federation ship names to Nimitz to build an invincible fleet. ;)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

BOTF is addictive,i've played it, regularily,since it was released, but why no excelsior class? they're not in the starship spotter book, either, is this a weird copyright, legal wrangling?
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

BOTF is basically Master of Orion 2.5, and was the last game from the once mighty Microprose. I got it from a bargain bin many years ago, as I am a fan of those style of games, and it was one of the best fivers I've ever spent. It turned me from someone who watched Star Trek into a low level Trekkie!
Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work for several years. I'll have to track down that patch that an earlier poster mentioned. There is a mod team working on a sequel, but it is going slowly. A previous fan sequel was abandoned a couple of years back.
There was a issue with the game only having a TNG licence - therefore no Constitution Class, which may also explain why there was no Exclesiors. But on the other hand there where Mirandas, Oberths and Defiants.
I couple of weeks ago I downloaded a beta version Star Trek mod for Galactic Civilizations 2 (http://www.gc2startrekmod.com) It's a bit unstable and rough about the edges, but has a flavour of BOTF.