Treknology 101: guide to ST tech

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Treknology 101: guide to ST tech

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Let's do a quick guide to what we know about it. I'll get it started with this:

The most important button on a bridge console is the big red "Compensate" button, which has almost magical powers to do the improbable. I've always wondered why we don't see this big thing that looks like Staples' "easy button," except it says COMPENSATE

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketin ... index.html
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Transporters dispite being a "safe" everyday mode of transport have a worse safety record than an american made car.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

... and are less reliable than an American auto mechanic!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

The main deflector, despite being designed to project a navigational deflector field, is secretly capable of emitting anything. Particularly plotitons.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Dispite starfleet's high standards to get in, they seem to kill off personel at such a rate that fifty years only hicks and retards will be left in the federation! I'm sorry but they need to make a green shirt and stick the stupid people in them for cannon fodder!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No matter how many times power has been lost a/o crippled on a Starship, there will always be emergency or auxiliary power which appears magically in order to effect the dramatic technological solution...

As long as there's at least five minutes of airtime left.

As a corollary, such "total" power losses can never have an effect on certain systems which require that power - life support, lighting, annoying computer announcements, SIF, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I just want a keyboard that has just 5 bottons but can do anything and everything with 10 or so pushed of those buttons...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What do we know about Starfleet's tech?
Stay away from warp cores.
Stay away from transporters.
Stay away from the holodeck.
Stay away from computer consoles.
Stay away from.....in fact, just stay away from the whole damn ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And if you need something done that can't really be done, jsut invent a particle! Violate the laws of nature, no problem - it's yours to do with as you will!
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Verterons, tachyons, and gravitons will fix anything.
Yes, that's right: anything.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Jordanis wrote:The main deflector, despite being designed to project a navigational deflector field, is secretly capable of emitting anything. Particularly plotitons.
The GCS is also capable of firing an energy beam from the Captain's Yacht and a phaser beam from it's forward torpedo tube! :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey - that was without question the greatest link I've ever followed in my life, or ever will. I literally sat here in front of my PC laughing out loud to the point that the dog came to see if I was OK.

The bit about Voyager's resemblance to something else, and the real reason for Jeri Ryan's addition to the cast... hi-f$@#*ing-larious.
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I like the doors that open automatically - except when you're making a dramatic exit at which point they will only open a second before you turn to walk out.

Oh, and a food dispenser that can supply food from 100 different worlds - but only if you specify the temperature using the metric system.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Rochey - that was without question the greatest link I've ever followed in my life, or ever will. I literally sat here in front of my PC laughing out loud to the point that the dog came to see if I was OK.
Thank you. :)
He's done a few other Trek songs. The only other one I can find at the moment is Screw the Ocampa, which is the story of Voyager from the view of some poor unfortunate sod stuck on the ship.