Transwarp Theories

Trek Books, Games and General chat
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Transwarp Theories

Post by alexmann »

I was reading Grahams article on transwarp theories and wanted to find out what you guys thought of my ideas.

Excelsior - An attempt to be able to enter warp speeds at any velocity rather than having to go through all the lower ones (I read this somewhere) as well as and attempt to increase the maximum speed of the ships.
Borg (Type 1) - Conduits generated and maintained by the Transwarp Hubs. As they use much larger and far more powerful systems, they can go faster than the Type 2 method. These can be entered by any ship capable of generating the correct access code. These cannot change course.
Borg (Type 2) - Conduits generated on the fly by a ship equipped with a transwarp coil (all borg vessels). They use more compact and less powerful systems than Type 1 but are faster than standard warp. These can be entered by the ship generating them, a ship equipped with a transwarp coil or any ship close enough to the generating ship on creation. These can change course and are controlled by the generating ship. These degrade over time.
Cochrane - An attempt to go at infinite velocity using a new form of dilithium.
Voth - Normal warp, just very fast.

By the way, If any mods feel that this is in the wrong section please move it but as they are spread over multiple trek series's I thought General Trek would be the best.
ImageImage
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Transwarp Theories

Post by Tyyr »

Not a horrible summation but at this point I think "Transwarp" has lost any real meaning it might ever have had. I see it more akin to the word "Supersonic" which covers any velocity in atmosphere greater than the speed of sound.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Transwarp literally means "Above warp" so it is really the same thing as supersonic but with warp rather than sound.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Actually, "transwarp" would mean "across warp," leading to a good deal more vagueness. While in general "transwarp" has been used to indicate speeds past the traditional warp limit, the methodologies involved have been so widely varied as to make a better analogy the modern usage of the word "gun" - which technically meant a smoothbore artillery piece, but has come to mean any firearm from pistols and revolvers to 16" naval artillery (and greater.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't know, but off of the top of my head, isn't the Borg the only one that demonstrated something different than what we would 'expect' for transwarp?

Transwarp probably just is a catch all word for faster than warp. Like Mach.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Precisely what I was trying to say.
ImageImage
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

What about Slipstream?
How would it be different from Transwarp?
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Different name, and that's about it. It even bears a strong visual resemblance to Borg transwarp.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:Different name, and that's about it. It even bears a strong visual resemblance to Borg transwarp.
It could be Borg Transwarp and slipstream are the same technologies with two different names depending on who is speaking and what they are speaking about.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Possibly. It's also been pointed out somewhere that Borg transwarp of the Voyager variety only showed up after Hope and Fear. When Voyager abandoned the slipstream prototype vessel in the middle of a fleet of cubes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Interesting. Never thought of that. But was that ship ever said be a prototype for slipstream?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It was used by someone as a "ruse" to be a starfleet Prototype but was actually alien technology. IIRC.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Reliant121 wrote:It was used by someone as a "ruse" to be a starfleet Prototype but was actually alien technology. IIRC.
indeed and the borg had already asimilated that species.

what about that catapult thing we saw once in VOY?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Used by that bloke that looked like a cross between a duck and a platypus?
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Yes, that's the one. It's named the null space catapult and i think it is a nice concept worthy to explore, lets say they put one or more of those in orbit of the important federation planets and other strategic locations.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!