Character of the Week--Commander Elias Vaughn

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Character of the Week--Commander Elias Vaughn

Post by Mark »

This type of discussion is an old DITL tradition, and one I thought appropriate for this topic. i'm currently in Book Three of the DS9 relaunch series "Mission Gamma" and thought a discussion about DS9s new characters, or whats happening with her originial ones might be interesting.

So, to start things off, I present Commander Elias Vaughn, the new XO of DS9. Commander Vaughn is over a hundred years old, and served primarily in Intelligence and Black Ops. He was burnted out and disillusioned, considering retirement until while on board the E-E which was in the Badlands, an old Cardassian Freighter was found, which was carrying the Bajoran Orb of Memory. He remembered what he'd really wanted in life when he was young, which was to explore, so after DS9s then XO was killed, he took the job.

Seems his estranged daughter Ensign Prynn Tanmei is also assigned to DS9 as the Defiants Conn Officer, and for the first several books hates the man as she blames him for the death of her mother. In Book 2 of Mission Gamma their relationship started to mend, and they're on speaking terms again.

So, anybody got anything on Commander Vaughn?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Character of the Week--Commander Elias Vaughn

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I actually enjoy him as a character. I think he's one of the better original characters that the Books have created. I'm kind of curious to see where his arc will go. He also appeared in the TNG novel "Battle of Betazed" and the Lost Era novel "Serpents Among the Ruins".
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Think he'll ever start accepting promotions?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Think he'll ever start accepting promotions?
I think he's happy where he is (in the Lost Era appearance, he's still an ensign or lieutenant -- i forget which one). For what he does, I think Commander works well. Starfleet probably has thousands of commanders so he can just float about and do what he needs to do since I doubt anyone would question an extra commander on special assignment. Really, as an Intel officer, what would a promotion do for him? Probably take him out of the field and make him administrate somewhere, but it seems to me that fieldwork is why he does what he does. Since his original ideas of exploration got lost in his ability in the field of duty, remaining on active field duty helps him feel close to that spirit of adventure he joined with.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

True, but his new career path should allow at least an advancement to Captain. But I think he's perfectly happy at DS9, myself.

Perhaps when Kira moves on he'll let them promote him to Captain?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I love the guy. He's black ops, but a good black ops... if that makes sense. Weathered and worn, but not thin and spread out yet.