Warped Trek Aesops

Trek Books, Games and General chat
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Warped Trek Aesops

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mark wrote:I would guess he encountered alot of "racism" in his early career, as he never formed the kind of friendships he did on the E-D.
Which is plausible. But it has the unfortunate implication that the rest of Starfleet and the Federation are, in general, a bunch of incompetent and/or jerks.

I never liked the idea that the Enterprise crew happen to be ZE MOST UNITED AND FRIENDLIZZ as it was stated when Remmik came for investigation. I can buy it they happen to be the most competent/skilled (it's the flagship), but then again, if the Enterprise crew rates for a 10, other ships should rate for a 9.

However, stating that they are automatically the most "decent" crew? I think that's just one (superfluous) extra step toward the USS Mary Sue.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Federation likes to pretend they're all goodness and light, that their eyes sparkle, and farts smell like cinnamon rolls but they aren't. Data represents something completely different. He's a non-biological machine that happens to look like a human. His mindset and such are very alien to the point where it's not hard to see how many people might just consider him an extension of the ship or computer, like a walking computer terminal.

Also, nothing says that Data was following a linear progression of development. He very well could have been on an exponential curve on all those other ships and only on the Ent-D did we get to see him take off as it were.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Even if it was linear, if you look at how much Data changed over TNG... it really hit me when I saw All Good Things, with Spiner doing "Season 1 Data" again. He's nothing like the later seasons Data. Project that back ten or twenty years and Data wouldn't be all that dissimilar to B4. And the Enterprise crew didn't exactly treat B4 with overwhelming respect. Their reaction was not so much "he's a child who needs to learn" as "it's the retarded uncle everybody looks at sadly".
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Same with The Doctor in VOY. Compare S1 to S7 and they're unrecognisable. What's the difference between an android and photons and forcefields?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

thelordharry wrote:Same with The Doctor in VOY. Compare S1 to S7 and they're unrecognisable. What's the difference between an android and photons and forcefields?
Voyager's S1 was the Doctor's first moment of existence.

TNG's S1 was Data's 17th year in Starfleet (rough guess, no idea actually how long, but it's long)

You'd think that in 17 years and with ennough seniority to wear LtCmdr pips, Data would have learned ennough to actually behave properly in Starfleet with other personnels.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

The doctor was a template though, unlike Data :)
to have succeeded.”
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If they really liked Data, they could have just re-engaged the transporter and loaded his pattern from buffer storage.

Poof

New Data.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Holo-Data with the VOY Doctor's mobile emitter?
to have succeeded.”
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

thelordharry wrote:Same with The Doctor in VOY. Compare S1 to S7 and they're unrecognisable. What's the difference between an android and photons and forcefields?
Their brains. Everyone made a big deal about Data's positronic brain and how it allowed him to learn and grow. I suspect that the Doctor's growth is more a result of having the horsepower of Voyager's main computer behind him.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

and I'm sure that staring at Seven's bowling-ball-borg-breasts helped too :)
to have succeeded.”
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

[quote=]"Tyyr" I suspect that the Doctor's growth is more a result of having the horsepower of Voyager's main computer behind him.[/quote]

I wonder then does that lead to the idea that Voyagers main computer was begining to "evolve" its personality and was capable of doing so but that the feds just put restrictions on things like that?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think so, it was the doctor's program evolving. Same thing with your computer, it's just hardware and horsepower, it's the program that can do something with it. Take the doctor's program out and the computer is the same it's always been.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:I don't think so, it was the doctor's program evolving. Same thing with your computer, it's just hardware and horsepower, it's the program that can do something with it. Take the doctor's program out and the computer is the same it's always been.
Except if you have some bioneural parts in your hardware... like Voyager has.

there, there is the slight possibility of some nonprogrammed evolution.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Except that that neural tissue isn't a brain. It's specifically stated to be there to aid in data retrieval, not thought.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Except that that neural tissue isn't a brain. It's specifically stated to be there to aid in data retrieval, not thought.
Computers in Star Trek are specifically stated to do a lot of things. And it's not like Starfleet Engineers haven't had computers run away from them before. Hell, the E-Ds computer reproduced
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."