SFDebris: The Prime Directive

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: The Prime Directive

Post by Captain Seafort »

YouTube

Following on naturally for Dear Doctor, we have an examination of the biggest bugbear of them all. A decent analysis for its length, and Chuck must've had to draw a line somewhere, but it's something that I almost think could have done with a multi-part analysis to examine its development from TOS to Enterprise.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris: The Prime Directive

Post by Deepcrush »

While a multi-part review would be interesting, I think Chuck managed to hit the heart of the matter. The PD has gone from a point of advice to a State Dogma and as such has blinded the current UFP to moral right and wrong.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Janeway ordering Paris not to interfere when it was the right thing to do was the lynchpin right there, methinks.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Janeway ordering Paris not to interfere when it was the right thing to do was the lynchpin right there, methinks.
The only defense in that case though was there was time travel involved too, though even the risk of temporal paradox was pushing it as far as just letting that civilization die.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Are you talking about 30 Days, or another episode where Janeway slapped Paris across the bridge?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Whichever one was shown in the prime directive SF debris. I really don't recall much of Voy in detail.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Time and Again
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Episode #3 I think. They really should have made this a season 3 episode so you could really enjoy Janeway taking a baton to the face.

I think his review was long enough to hit the important points of the argument. Sure you can go into minute detail about every aspect and every occurrence of the Prime Directive but you can lay out a pretty solid case for its evolution from a guideline to dogmatic bullshit in fifteen minutes.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:you can lay out a pretty solid case for its evolution from a guideline to dogmatic bullshit in fifteen minutes.
We've done that more than a couple of times on this very forum.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer