Defiant Class
4%

Total votes: 23
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Your Favorite Federation Starship Class

Post by Atekimogus »

stitch626 wrote:Actually if you look at the Wiki Mikey posted, spread specifically had an angle offset (as apposed to salvo which had none). Therefore, (even if "full" referred to the number of torpedoes rather than magnitude of spread) we would still have seen more than one ball of light in GEN.
Except if Worf fired a full spread with exactly one torpedo, that is basically the only scenario I can imagine where the dialogue matches what we see and altough it would be a bit of a middle finger to Riker, technically he wouldn't disobey an order. (Assuming the "full" determines the angle, a single torpedo with full spread would still fly straight towards the target, also given the level of competence shown in those 20 minutes of film one officer interpreting an order creativly wouldn't be that much of a suprise imho).
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I don't buy the "it's too much firepower for what was needed" argument. They effectively said they didn't had a 2nd chance, and they wanted to make sure they'd make the kill with that one shot.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I don't buy the "it's too much firepower for what was needed" argument. They effectively said they didn't had a 2nd chance, and they wanted to make sure they'd make the kill with that one shot.
I would have expected Worf to continue firing torpedoes and phasers till the BoP was dead... maybe even after.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

According to the detail from that firing manual, "salvo" referred to multiple torpedo launches at once, on a given bearing, while "spread" referred to firing multiple torpedoes while varying the bearing through an arc. Judging by that, "full spread" would indicate the maximum number of torps, fired with a set angle of variance - presumably, a standard angle of variance between torpedo bearings would have been an established SOP.

The only reason that the "e pluribus unum" torpedo becomes a problem is that we've seen unfired torpedoes. They are single, discrete, solid bodies, each with its own mechanisms, payloads, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Man, this is such a geek moment, reading through this. I love this place at times.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

:lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I don't buy the "it's too much firepower for what was needed" argument. They effectively said they didn't had a 2nd chance, and they wanted to make sure they'd make the kill with that one shot.
That argument assumes competence. The problem with the argument is that anyone with a working brain would have hit the BoP with an alpha strike comparable with those launched against the Husnock ship in Survivors or the Borg cube in BoBW. We saw a single point of light consistent with previous single PTs. Ergo, what we saw was a single PT.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

If I remember rightly (highly unlikely with me), Riker also instructed Worf to fire the minute the BOPs shields dropped - which would make sense if the BOP was in the process of cloaking. Instead, they triggered the BOPs cloak, then Worf waited whilst Riker inserted a dramatic pause before giving the order to fire.

I really hope Riker got his arse kicked for this one, the Enterprise should have been letting fly with everything she had the minute they came under fire, especially with the shields rendered useless. Think I've asked this before but would he have been courtmartialled as he was in command at the time, or would it have been Picard?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:I really hope Riker got his arse kicked for this one, the Enterprise should have been letting fly with everything she had the minute they came under fire, especially with the shields rendered useless. Think I've asked this before but would he have been courtmartialled as he was in command at the time, or would it have been Picard?
It would probably have been Picard. It was his ship, therefore the ultimate responsibility was his. As for Riker, why he got the Titan is inconceivable, especially given that it was the second time he lost the E-D due to incompetence.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lol, they offered him several commands, when all he kept doing was showing a record of bad judgement, insubordination, and incompatance.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Lol, they offered him several commands, when all he kept doing was showing a record of bad judgement, insubordination, and incompatance.
Hey, this is the same organization that gave JANEWAY a command. At least he hasn't gotten his ship stranded on the other side of the galaxy because he couldn't set a time.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Captain Seafort wrote: It would probably have been Picard. It was his ship, therefore the ultimate responsibility was his. As for Riker, why he got the Titan is inconceivable, especially given that it was the second time he lost the E-D due to incompetence.
Wait. What?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

He let a handfull of Ferengi pirates steal the ship under his watch too.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rascals.

EDIT: What he said ^
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Oh right.

:bangwall: