Fix Star Trek Generations

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fix Star Trek Generations

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Put the E-D battle with the Romulans back in. This was cut so as to allow the "Worf's promotion in the holodeck" scene, but I'd far rather see the E-D kick a little ass early on, to establish the ship as a bit of a badass.

I'd keep the nexus, but I'd make it a bit more mysterious. Everyone talks about it like "Oh, it's an energy distortion, okay." and even when talking about the inside it's "Oh, it transcends space and time so anything's possible there. Ah right, okay then." People treat it and talk about it like it's an everyday thing, rather than an amazingly weird one. Is it a natural phenomenon, is it some sort of weird alien starship, what?

Destroy most of the ships that go near it. Make clear that Guinan and Soren were VERY lucky to survive to get into it before being pulled away.

For GOD's sake make the E-B a decent ship with a decent crew. Get rid of the whole "Tuesday" thing.

I quite liked the whole Data thing... but I guess it could be toned down a little.

Give Lursa and B'Etor a Vor'Cha, if not a Vor'Cha EACH, and make the battle against the E-D something epic. A shieldless E-D in flames as two warships pound it relentlessly... and it still has the guts to take them both down even as it's mortally wounded... that's what I want to see.

And none of this "we can't find Soren on the planet" crap. He's under a 50 GW forcefield, of COURSE you can find him. So instead the two Klingon ships are guarding the planet and the Pcard knows the ship might not survive getting through them. Hell, have him sneak past them in a stealthed shuttle or something and get to Soren that way.

Sort the damn uniforms out and turn the bloody lights on on the E-D!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Give Lursa and B'Etor a Vor'Cha
No. The root of the problem wasn't the ship they had, but involving those two at all - they'd already been firmly established as has-beens after Redemption, and having them turn up with a force capable of challenging the E-D would have been an even worse headache than what we got. At least that made sense, even if it was grossly unsatisfying. The Romulans would have made a much better opponent.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Especially given that the sum total of true conflict with the Romulans was one episode in TOS.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Especially given that the sum total of true conflict with the Romulans was one episode in TOS.
Assuming you're ignoring Tin Man as not worth the description, it was actually two episodes in TOS - there was quite a scrap in The Deadly Years before Kirk scared them off with a variant of his old corbomite trick.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I have to agree. The Romulans were the most recurring, main Big Bad of TNG, and they should have been included in the movie.

Seriously, we have NEVER seen the Romulans as antagonists in any Star Trek movie. Nemesis was just remans, and XI was.. a bunch of badly tatooed neo-nazis.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:...badly tatooed neo-nazis.
I don't recall the movie being set in Florida. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

thats the thing I hated most about ST XI was the abomination they turned one of my favourite races into.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:thats the thing I hated most about ST XI was the abomination they turned one of my favourite races into.
We've been over this haven't we? I think showing a sub-class of Romulan society was fine, personally, and the Romulans are one of my favorite races as well.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:thats the thing I hated most about ST XI was the abomination they turned one of my favourite races into.
We've been over this haven't we? I think showing a sub-class of Romulan society was fine, personally, and the Romulans are one of my favorite races as well.
What's the commonly accepted version of the why the Narada's crew was dressed like that?

'cause I didn't mind the one they explain in Countdown. But since it isn't canon...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
What's the commonly accepted version of the why the Narada's crew was dressed like that?

'cause I didn't mind the one they explain in Countdown. But since it isn't canon...
I believe it's something along the lines of "They were miners" ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
@Reliant: One sampling does not a culture make. Should we judge UK based on the Chavs?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Sonic Glitch wrote:@Reliant: One sampling does not a culture make. Should we judge UK based on the Chavs?
At the rate they're breeding, in a few years time maybe.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It was rather nice to see another facet of Romulans beyond the scheming senators.