Romulan Society

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Romulan Society

Post by Mark »

Of course, her take DOES make a bit more sense than the standard Romulan/Roman thing.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mark wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I've seen numerous language books that refer to Romulan as Rihannsu. Don't know how much of an influence it might have.

All non cannon. The Rihannsu angle was started by an author of TOS novels trying to flesh them out a bit. Not a bad job, but still non cannon.
I don't want us to define ourselves only to cannon. This is meant as a creative experimentation of fleshing out an alien society.

I always thought of the Romulans more of a pre-Imperial Roman analogy, like during the time of Gaius Marius, Sulla, Scipio Africanus.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Granted....but that would be "her" take on Romulan society, not one of ours. Not saying its not valid for what we're doing.......just pointing it out. It wouldn't mean much to base an opinion off of another opinion. If we venture out onto the ledge of opinion and creativity, I'd rather start out rooted in fact.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote::bangwall:

Rihanna. showing your age mikey, whether on purpose or in jest.
It was in jest. Mmmm, I know exactly who she is.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:I don't want us to define ourselves only to cannon. This is meant as a creative experimentation of fleshing out an alien society.
Fair enough, but Mark was only pointing out to Reliant that it was inadmissable in terms of discussing the "facts" set out in the franchise.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:I always thought of the Romulans more of a pre-Imperial Roman analogy, like during the time of Gaius Marius, Sulla, Scipio Africanus.
The lack of an emperor, relative power of the senate, and presence of proconsuls seem to point to a later Rome, probably one very close to the schism between Italy and Byzantium.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:Granted....but that would be "her" take on Romulan society, not one of ours. Not saying its not valid for what we're doing.......just pointing it out. It wouldn't mean much to base an opinion off of another opinion. If we venture out onto the ledge of opinion and creativity, I'd rather start out rooted in fact.
Well, naming the Romulan language is pretty superficial, I'd guess. Does her take have any influence on the whole of romulan society, so that we cannot accept it without further consequences?

I like some of the Expended Universe's take on Romulan history, with the society forming from the generation ships that left Vulcan and keeping the same kind of cast-system as they had on the ships. Seeing as society on a ship is very cast-based, it pretty much formed their society. Also, they needed a form of proportionnal representation between the generation ships to have some sort of order, which explains the level of democracy present on the higher levels of Romulan society and yet having a very high state-backed secret police.
The lack of an emperor, relative power of the senate, and presence of proconsuls seem to point to a later Rome, probably one very close to the schism between Italy and Byzantium.
Lack of an emperor - check
Relative power of the senate - check
Presence of Proconsul - check

All of these also applies to the Roman Republic. Proconsular Imperium would often be granted to consuls who neede to keep their consular powers in a province or on the battlefield, albeit you would rarely be granted a Proconsular Imperium without first being consul.

Hmmm.. I remember Tomalak bragging that he'd drag the Enterprise's hulk back to Romulus. Do you think they have Triumphs for military victorious commanders?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I would have laughed if Picard, Data, and Spock went to Romulus and walked under Trajan's Arch.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You make a good point, except for the point of the Romulan Empire explicitly being called an "Empire" not a "Republic". Which leads me to believe the name "Empire" in incorrect....but likely the closest translation in "common".

And yes, I'd imagine had Tomalok brought the Enterprise's hulk back to Romulas, that would have made his political career. He'd have left the service, and ended up as a senator.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:You make a good point, except for the point of the Romulan Empire explicitly being called an "Empire" not a "Republic". Which leads me to believe the name "Empire" in incorrect....but likely the closest translation in "common".
Hell, you could say: "Romulan Star Imperium", many people would never see the difference.

But "Empire"/"Emperor" derive from "Imperium"/"Imperator", which each of them means "Power/Authority/Jurisdiction" / "Commander/Authority". The Roman Republic had an Empire at it's mean way before it was ruled by an "emperor". The Senate had Imperium over Spain, Macedonia, Africa, Asia Minor at the time of Gaius Marius, which was during the Roman Republic.

"Romulan Star Imperium" = The Star-related Authority of the Romulans. In short, where they consider their sphere of influence to reach.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Besides, "empire" sounds much more threatening than "republic" or "confederacy."
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:Besides, "empire" sounds much more threatening than "republic" or "confederacy."
A bit like Napoleon changing his title from "First Proconsul for Life" to "Emperor of France"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."