Holodecks

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Holodecks

Post by Sanehouse »

This may seem like a minor inconsistency, but it's something that's always bothered me. On several occasions, we see holograms that leave the holodeck (or any other area equipped with holo-emitters) vanish. Now, I think it's safe to assume that everything that's created in the holodeck is a hologram (people, trees, water, etc), so this begs the question: Why do some people still have remnants of things from the holodeck on them when they leave?

I'll give you a few examples of what I mean.

At "Encounter at Farpoint", when Wes falls into the water, one would think that the water would vanish from his clothes and hair when he leaves the holodeck (making him dry again), and not drip all over the deck.

Also, when Tom Paris works on cars in the holodeck and gets grease and oil on his clothes, then leaves the holodeck with stains on his clothes and dirty hands.

Thoughts?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Holodecks

Post by kostmayer »

Can only suppose that the holodeck simulations are composed of both holodeck matter and replicated matter, for added realism. Can't see why it would be the case but it would explain it.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There's been no IU explanation as far as I'm aware of but OOU there is the general belief that kost put forward. The holodeck is a combination of holograms and replicated matter. Things that someone will interact with directly are replicated while things you just see are projections.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I clearly remember Picard and the Enterprise catching a cold coming from Holodeck Snow.

Hum.. What about the biological remains you leave behind? Do they disapear?

If you run Vulcan Love Slave Part II : The Revenge, and have full.. err... enjoyment, does Rom have to pass the mop in the holosuit after?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You don't catch a cold from the cold. The adverse conditions simply lower your defenses making it easier to become infected. If wouldn't be a convincing representation of snow if it was a balmy 78 degrees would it?

As for biological remains, given that replicators can dematerialize things as well I'd assume anything left behind is dematerialized and return to stores.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Nah, I think it gets turned back into energy with the rest of the holodeck matter and reused - probably ends up in Picards Earl Grey.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:You don't catch a cold from the cold. The adverse conditions simply lower your defenses making it easier to become infected. If wouldn't be a convincing representation of snow if it was a balmy 78 degrees would it?
I know that. Fact is, Picard got a cold after catching a snowball in the chest. Do you think he already had the virus dormant in him, even tho he had absolutely no defense against it?

But wait, my memory is little sketchy. I am not sure if they mentionned the virus origin, so maybe I am in the wrong. I just remember Picard getting sick after getting the snowball. Did they mentionned any other origin?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

kostmayer wrote:Nah, I think it gets turned back into energy with the rest of the holodeck matter and reused - probably ends up in Picards Earl Grey.
Raktajino with cream, you mean.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

:[
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thats the kind of tech some of those video booths need...............

er, nevermind. Nothing to see here. :twisted:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:Thats the kind of tech some of those video booths need...............

er, nevermind. Nothing to see here. :twisted:
If you can garantee that 99.999999% of the biological remains are going to be wiped out. That standards of property are very high, and that you only need low maintenance to do so...

You would make a fortune out of such tech. And not only in video booth. Think strip clubs. Public toilets. Hotel rooms (oh god.. hotel rooms..)
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Dude, I work in a hotel, the maids would love you.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Vic wrote:Dude, I work in a hotel, the maids would love you.
Either that, or they would be mad to lose their job.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

My question is, how the heck did Cyrus Redblock exist outside of the holodeck for a short time?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

OU....It was more dramatic than instand vanishing

IU...perhaps more complex creations such as people over inanimate books take a few seconds longer to unravel????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.