Romulan Neutral Zone

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Romulan Neutral Zone

Post by Sanehouse »

I'm quite confused about something. If I remember my Star Trek correctly, the Romulan Neutral Zone is an area of space between the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Star Empire which no ship, be it Federation or Romulan, is allowed to enter. If that's true, then why does it seem like every time a Federation ship is shown entering the Neutral Zone on-screen, Romulan ships seem to teleport to the Federation ship and begin attacking almost immediately? I doubt they'd have enough time to detect the ship, then cross from Romulan space and into the Neutral Zone. So, if they're already in the Neutral Zone, and thus able to attack any Federation ships that enter it, then they don't really have the right to complain about the Federation entering it, do they?

Did you all just understand what I just typed out? >_>
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Romulan Neutral Zone

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the assumption is that the Romulans probably have cloaked satellites or scoutships all along the neutral zone, and have ships waiting all along the border. They considered the federation a great threat to themselves, so logically they would have the border well guarded.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Also depends on how wide the neutral zone is.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

It's mostly convenience of the Plot. 'cause, you know, to have Romulans intercept the Enterprise at the Federation edge of the Neutral Zone, you'd have to be pretty in deep yourself, meaning that they are violating the NZ much more than the Federation.

But then again, the Federation is probably too weak to actually call on the Romulans about it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd not be surprised if the Romulans were frequently patroling deep inside the Neutral Zone with cloaked vessels. The UFP probably ignores these transgressions in the interest of maintaining peace - much like how South Korea doesn't react to provocative acts from the North.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not to mention that if you did start to complain they'd have a way to figure out how you know where their cloaked vessels are. Sometimes you're better off just letting them think they're sneakier than they really are.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

I always thought of the neutral zone as a kind of free fire zone, not an exclusion zone. Both sides know going there that they're going to get shot if they are found, the RSE has a tech advantage with cloaks. So the romulans can come and go with impunity.
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Keep in mind the Fed's do have possession on Tachyon based sensor systems to detect the cloaked ships, and barring the Thalaron cloak, Romulan cloaking technology has never been faultless. They leave small neutrino trails.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Interesting interpretation though it does fly completely in the face of the term neutral.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

I didn't say it fit the phrase, just that's how I think about it
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I'd not be surprised if the Romulans were frequently patroling deep inside the Neutral Zone with cloaked vessels. The UFP probably ignores these transgressions in the interest of maintaining peace - much like how South Korea doesn't react to provocative acts from the North.
This mirrors my opinion as well.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

The north and south Korea apology doesn't really work here because those two countries are separated by a demilitarized zone, not a neutral zone. Neutral should mean that anyone can go there not that its an act of war to be seen there.
Hence my interpretation of more of a free fire zone. I.E. we see you we shoot you on site.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

lcpl seilicki wrote:The north and south Korea apology doesn't really work here because those two countries are separated by a demilitarized zone, not a neutral zone. Neutral should mean that anyone can go there not that its an act of war to be seen there.
Hence my interpretation of more of a free fire zone. I.E. we see you we shoot you on site.
That would explain why Starfleet captains never want to delve in there. The Federation is probably too much of a wuss to provoke military gambles, and simply adopt the most coward position.

On the other hand, I remember Picard clearly stating that he will shoot down a romulan warbirb if it crosses the NZ to get back their crashed pilot.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think it's being wusses, they know if they start shooting at Romulan ships for the hell of it that it'll start a war. One the Fed will likely win but in the process you're going to get millions killed, worlds wrecked, and destroy any chance of friendly relations for another century or so. Instead they just have the restraint not to practice cowboy diplomacy and let it slide. The Fed doesn't really give a shit about the Romulans much less fighting a war with them.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:I don't think it's being wusses, they know if they start shooting at Romulan ships for the hell of it that it'll start a war.
Except, that, you know, we already mentioned that in the current explored interpretation of events (it's a Kill-free zone), blasting the other side's ship in the Neutral Zone is considered to be an isolated act rather than an act of war. So you can blow up their ships that crosses the NZ without fear of provoking a war.