Miranda Classes???

Trek Books, Games and General chat
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I'll just wait for the Sovereign equivalent of the Miranda Class to appear.
Constitution=Miranda
Excelsior=Centaur
Ambassador=?
Galaxy=Nebula
Sovereign=?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You may have to wait some time. The Sov seems to have eliminated many of the design instabilities of the GCS - which necessitated the need for a more stable variant like the Nebula.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

JudgeKing wrote:Ambassador=?
The Niagra-class was probably the mass-production version of the Ambassador, given the similarities between the two, particularly in the engineering hull.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, but the niagra was crap.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Yeah, but the niagra was crap.
Evidence? Given that we only ever saw it once - and that was a battle that destroyed every other ship as well. It might have been the most effective Starfleet design of the early-mid 24th century, but we won't know because we never saw it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its ratings place it at around two thirds the abilites of the Ambassador. Yet its size would make it cost near the same. Whats the point?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Its ratings place it at around two thirds the abilites of the Ambassador. Yet its size would make it cost near the same. Whats the point?
That's using DITL scores, which are merely a guesstimate not canon. The ratings for ships like the Niagra will also involve a lot of random guesswork, since we've only seen it once, and that was as a Wolf 359 wreck.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True but speaking 'only for myself' I have a great deal of trust and faith in DITL. And much of what we speak about here isn't cannon, its guess work.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Even without using DITL specs, I feel safe in assuming that the Niagara-class wasn't terribly succesful due to the fact that we've only seen one -ever - whether it was a wreck or a functioning vessel. If it was so hot, wouldn't it have been built in large numbers? Of course, the same may be said for the Ambassador-class itself...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Ambassador had the same problem as the vorcha in that by the time it was in main production the Galaxy and Nebula designs were starting to be built. It was out dated the year after it rolled out of the shipyard.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:True but speaking 'only for myself' I have a great deal of trust and faith in DITL. And much of what we speak about here isn't cannon, its guess work.
In a way, though it would be better to decribe it as a combination of extrapolation from canon and guesswork based on canon. Not guesswork based on guesswork. The further we go from the original canon facts, the less accurate our conclusions are likely to be.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True but I find that much of what we come up with is more accurate then cannon. Its a catch 22. If it comes down between the writers and DITL then I'll side with DITL every time.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:True but I find that much of what we come up with is more accurate then cannon.
Impossible by definition. Canon is the depiction of what is "real" Star Trek. Remove that and there no point in discussing it. You might as well declare that it was impossible for Wellington to win at Waterloo, therefore the French won. It doesn't change the facts of what happened.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You take the point to literal. Its more a joke on something being fake yet we talk about how you can't make stuff up about it lol
robjkay
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by robjkay »

Well I guess nobody has found anything that says or suggests that the name Miranda Class is really the name of this class.

Here is something, we do knoe that the Soyuz Class is canon being it was stated in TNG: Cause and Effect. This class shares the same configuration with the Miranda.

So my question is how do we no the name Miranda Class is not actually not named or part of the the Soyuz Class? Being one is canon and one is not.