Miranda Classes???

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Captain Peabody wrote:how much did ship design changed from the year 1000 to the 1400's?
Quite a bit actually. In the 1000s the most advanced European ships were built by the Vikings - effectively giant rowing boats, with a single sail and oars for secondary propulsion, carrying their crew, supplies, and limited livestock. During the 1400s the Spanish, Portuguese and English fleets were using multi-deck ships, with fore, main and mizzen masts, far more seaworthy and capable of transporting significant cargo on a commercial basis as far afield as the Carribean and India.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Quite a bit actually.
Hmm... :oops:

But the point still stands, which is that for most of the history of the world, technology has advanced much, much more slowly than we're used to.
A little more research couldn't have hurt, though.
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Capt. Tuvok
Crewman
Crewman

Hi

Post by Capt. Tuvok »

It's cool to be here among fellow Trekies, I've been visiting this site for some time now and only recently learned of the forum. I've been looking for a Trek forum for a long time. Anyway I thought I'd give the specs of the Miranda class Starship from a reliable source. I hope you find it useful or that it contribute to this conversation. Here goes nothing:

Miranda Class First commissed: 2283.
Specifications:
Dimensions:
Overall Length: 237.6 meters.
Overall beam: 141.7 meters.
Overall draft: 58.0 meters.
Dispacedment: 150,000 metric tons.
Crew compliment: 360 persons (original configuration)
Velocity:
Cruising: Warp Factor 7.
Acceleration::
Rest-onset critical momentus: 6.08 sec.
Onset Critical momentum-warp engage: 1.23 secs.
Warp 1 to 4: 0.81 sec.
war 4 to 7: 0.70 sec.
Duration:
Standard Mission: 5 yrs.
Recommended Yard overhaul: 19 yrs.
Propulsion Systems:
Warp: (2) LN-64 mod 3 linear warp drive units.
Impulse: (2) RST subatomic Unified Energy Impulse Units.
Weapons:
6 Type VII-12 Twin Mount Phaser Emplacements.
(6 banks/2 each)
2 multi-directional pulse phaser pulse cannons.
4 MK 22 mod 1 direct fire photon torpedo tubes.
Primary Computer System:
Daystrom Duotronic III processor with multitronic m-9 supplement.
Primary Navigation System:
Rav/Ishak warp celestial guidence/
Deflector Systems: Primary force field and deflector control system.
Embarked Craft: (Typical)
12 work bee General utility craft/
4 shuttle craft. (various classes)
1 shuttle pod.

Comments?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Welcome to the site. :)

Out of curiosity, where are those specs from?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Seafort's right (of course) on the example of sailing ship design changing from c. 1000 to c. 1400. However, it is interesting to note that those Portuguese and Spanish ships were able to be developed because of the adoption of a Viking construction method used in their drakkars. The only real innovation, apart from scale, was the use of alternate (sloop-style) rigging on one or more masts, which "innovation" was actually used by ancient Arabs and back to Phoenicia in the form of the lateen sail.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

The only real innovation, apart from scale, was the use of alternate (sloop-style) rigging on one or more masts, which "innovation" was actually used by ancient Arabs and back to Phoenicia in the form of the lateen sail.
:shock: Uhhhh.....in English, this time?

It's becoming clear that I'm a little out of my league here... :lol:

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Basically, the Viking ships used square sails rigged at right angles to the ships' centreline, while the Iberian designs introduced fore-and-aft rigged triangular sails on the mizzen, which allowed them to sail a lot closer to the wind.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

What I was trying to say was that the development of the larger southern European styles of ship was based initially on Scandinavian clinker-built construction which is more innately seaworthy. The major differences were size and the use of a sloop-rigged - fore-and-aft - sail, which allows for full power across the wind as well as in front of it. A sloop had one fore-and-aft sail; a brigantine had one square and two sloop sails; etc. However, ancient Mediterranean ships - Roman, Arab, Phoenician, even Old Kingdom Egyptian - used a triangular fore-and-aft rigged sail known as a lateen.

The gist is that the innovation in the cog, the nao, and up to the galleon was in bringing those elements together rather than in any new technology or invention.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
robjkay
Senior chief petty officer

Post by robjkay »

Has anyone ever seen a diagram or plaque showing or stating Miranda Class???

As far as I know the ship Miranda Class has never been stated officialy, so to an extent the name is not canon.

There is suppose to be several pieces of on screen signage referring to these vessels which is stated at http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Miranda_class. Was wondering if anyone has seen anything on it to verify the name of the Miranda class.
robjkay

Post by robjkay »

Has anyone ever seen a diagram or plaque showing or stating Miranda Class???

As far as I know the ship Miranda Class has never been stated officialy, so to an extent the name is not canon.

There is suppose to be several pieces of on screen signage referring to these vessels which is stated at http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Miranda_class. Was wondering if anyone has seen anything on it to verify the name of the Miranda class.
robjkay

Post by robjkay »

Opps, sorry for the double posting. :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If you go by that, then half the ship names in the series will be unnamed. :P

I think there was a mention of the Reliant being a Miranda class in The Wrath of Khan, but I'm not sure. If no one else does, I'll dig out my DVD in the morning and take a look. I'm too tired right now. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

I think there was a mention of the Reliant being a Miranda class in The Wrath of Khan, but I'm not sure. If no one else does, I'll dig out my DVD in the morning and take a look. I'm too tired right now.
I'm pretty positive that the class was not named... from what I remember, the Miranda class designation was a generally well-accepted fanon (or possibly backstage info) that eventually became canon.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think you're right there. A brief (very brief) flick through the DVD didn't mention the class, though I may just have missed it.
Capt. Tuvok
Crewman
Crewman

Rochey

Post by Capt. Tuvok »

Sorry for taking my sweet time for answering your question Rochey. I got the Miranda class specs from a book. It explains in detail most of the ships in Trek. I consider it a good source for knowledge on Star Fleet ships. I guess it wasn't helpful in this particular thread.