TNG Continuity ripped to shrerds!

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

there's no saying that it wasn't recovered later.. o_o

and while he liked it, maybe it wasn't his most prized posession..

I mean o_O come on lol
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

haha i loved the priceless artifact.
Maybe Picard decided archeology wasn't really that interesting after all...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I agree with Azreal on this.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Captain Seafort wrote:The point about the Borg being able to withstand 78% damage was either a bog-up by the writers, or Shelby's analysis was wrong - the FC cube suffered a lot less than that before it blew up.
The part you saw was undamaged. However, the insides of the Cube coulda been just molten metal.

And if they blew up one of the power generators, it wouldn't need 80% to be damaged. After all, Voyager had a hell of a lot of damage in year of Hell, but that amount of damage to the warp core would be more than enough to destroy the entire ship.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And if they blew up one of the power generators, it wouldn't need 80% to be damaged.
Agreed. It must have been something vital, IMO.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

Which is why picard took command, and had them focus fire on that point.. lol
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Hence, you wouldn't need to destroy 78% of the ship, hence Shelby was wrong - the Borg are just as vulnerable to the single-point-of-failure sydrome as Starfleet. Dark Frontier demonstrated this even better - minor damage to part of a scout and the whle ship blew up.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Right. Even the Borg have key systems; they're probably disguised as minor systems, but if you know where to strike, you can cripple or destroy them. Sort of like hitting an ammo magazine on a modern warship.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

In which case the extensive redundancy of Borg ships would be a weakness - while modern warships can centralise their magazines and propulsion, and so protect them better, the Borg can't. Given the powder-keg nature of Trek power generation, that isn't a good idea - they're simply making it easier for their opponents to score a fatal hit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wow, you guys really found a good point here!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Perhaps that's why the Transphasic torpedoes took out one cube with two hits, and another with only one hit. Maybe they're designed to exploit the Borg tendency to scatter numerous vital systems all over the place (they might just spread damage over a larger area, hoping to hit one of these 'don't press this button' systems).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's quite possible. Particularly once you take into acount the fact that they seemed to take different numbers of torps to take down.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Perhaps their targeting systems were designed to home in on Borg power generator signatures, in a similar way to how Spock and McCoy's modified torpedo homed in on the plasma wake of Chang's BoP.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I was thinking that same thing, though obviously the yield is significantly higher than a quantum torpedo.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:I was thinking that same thing, though obviously the yield is significantly higher than a quantum torpedo.
Why? Modern PGMs are usuall only one or two tons, but they can punch holes in bunkers that in WW2 would need a Tallboy or Grand Slam to take out. It's a matter of hitting the target in the right place.