Romulans and Pon Farr?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Romulans and Pon Farr?

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, lets remember that the UFP crews most of its ships with humans. The Romulans have been shown to have far fewer ships then the UFP. We also know that the Klingons (who do seem to breed like rabbits in a raging heat) are a credible threat to the UFP where the RSE has to rely mostly on subversion to get anywhere.

Honestly, I don't see anything that says the Romulan's reproduce any better then the Vulcans.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Perhaps multiple-births are more common in Romulans? Or in the early days (and continued probably) the early-leaders of the Romulan Star Empire implemented a "have as many children as possible" policy-- as opposed to China's "one child" policy? As far as I know there's nothing saying Vulcans (or Vulcanoids) have to be in Pon Farr to be able to reproduce, just that Pon Farr is when they hit the "mate or die" point -- though as far as we know, Spock did not mate but actually divorced, and he didnt' die.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Keep in mind that the fact that Vulcans are so long-lived would also help to keep the population increasing. Even if you only have one kid every seven years, it would still be sufficient.

On the note of multiple births, have we ever heard of a Vulcan reffering to their brother/sister/aunt/uncle/nephew/niece/cousin? I can't recall any such instances. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:On the note of multiple births, have we ever heard of a Vulcan reffering to their brother/sister/aunt/uncle/nephew/niece/cousin? I can't recall any such instances. :?
There's never been one, and he didn't hijack the Enterprise either.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:On the note of multiple births, have we ever heard of a Vulcan reffering to their brother/sister/aunt/uncle/nephew/niece/cousin? I can't recall any such instances. :?
There's never been one, and he didn't hijack the Enterprise either.
:bangwall: :lol:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think you have to breed like rabbits for them to be viable. Do we have an concrete information that there is no one in Romulan space but Romulans? They very well could administering to dozens of subjugated races and only allow Romulans in the government and on board starships.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, we know there's the Remans at least. I wouldn't be surprised if there were another few species lying around as well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

In Trek intelligent life isn't the exception, it's the rule. If a planet is even a little bit habitable there will be hot alien babes to screw on it.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Romulans tend to be a bit Spartan with their children. From TNG: Enemy Mine

From Memory Alpha
"How did this happen?"
"I was born that way."
"And your parents let you live?"
"What kind of question is that? Of course they let me live!"
"No wonder your race is weak. You waste time and resources on defective children."

- Bochra and La Forge discuss the latter's blindness
I wonder what they do to colicky babies?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given 24th century medical tech I'd imagine that very few babies are born with birth defects.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe they don't want to fix defects, considering them a symptom of weakness with the child itself?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Possibly. However the cost of fixing a birth defect would likely be significantly less than the child's contribution to society.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, but who's to say they're thinking logicaly here? They may well be blinded by the ideology of a master race.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We know the Romulans have a superiority complex, what use is a child that isn't completely infallable? How can it prove its absolute superiority if it is defective?