New Trek Series In The Works

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

New Trek Series In The Works

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark emailed me this; his internet situation is tenuous, and they won't let him on DITL from work. I don't think he noticed the date of the article, though. :wink:
New Star Trek Series In Works

December 14th, 2006

TrekMovie.com has information from long-time Trek producer David Rossi about plans for a new Star Trek series set in the 26th century. The new series will be animated (like The Animated Series continuation of TOS) and CBS have given the go ahead for test artwork and scripts for 5 mini episodes to be developed.
The series will probably be broadcast online on the Star Trek website; a first for the franchise. With the success of sites such as YouTube, this is the natural next step forward in television broadcasting and it's not too surprising. As well as that, it may also be shown on TV and DVD.
The series will be set 150 years after Picard and Star Trek: Nemesis.

The setting is the year 2528 and the Federation is a different place after suffering through a devastating war with the Romulans 60 years earlier. The war was sparked off after a surprise attack of dozens of 'Omega particle' detonations throughout the Federation creating vast areas which become impassible to warp travel and essentially cut off almost half the Federation from the rest. During the war the Klingon homeworld was occupied by the Romulans, all of Andoria was destroyed and the Vulcans, who were negotiating reunification with the Romulans, pulled out of the Federation. The setting may seem bleak and not very Trek-like, but that is where the show's hero Captain Alexander Chase comes in. Relegated to border patrol, Chase is determined to bring the Federation (and a ship called Enterprise) back to the glory days of seeking out new life and new civilizations.

There are some really interesting twists - for example the chief engineer of the ship "Mr. Zero" needs to wear an environmental suit to survive on the ship. There will also be a security team with some Borg technology.
The TrekMovie report contains more details and some artwork from the series in works.
The project is currently believed to be in a holding pattern until the release of the 11th Star Trek film in 2008.
I think opinion amongst Trek fans is going to be divided. In some ways, I still feel Enterprise should get another 3 seasons and to be finished off. An animated series would be interesting but should it be considered part of the Star Trek canon? Or perhaps this is a last desperate attempt to revive Star Trek?
Source
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: New Trek Series In The Works

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Mark emailed me this; his internet situation is tenuous, and they won't let him on DITL from work. I don't think he noticed the date of the article, though. :wink:
New Star Trek Series In Works

December 14th, 2006

TrekMovie.com has information from long-time Trek producer David Rossi about plans for a new Star Trek series set in the 26th century. The new series will be animated (like The Animated Series continuation of TOS) and CBS have given the go ahead for test artwork and scripts for 5 mini episodes to be developed.
The series will probably be broadcast online on the Star Trek website; a first for the franchise. With the success of sites such as YouTube, this is the natural next step forward in television broadcasting and it's not too surprising. As well as that, it may also be shown on TV and DVD.
The series will be set 150 years after Picard and Star Trek: Nemesis.

The setting is the year 2528 and the Federation is a different place after suffering through a devastating war with the Romulans 60 years earlier. The war was sparked off after a surprise attack of dozens of 'Omega particle' detonations throughout the Federation creating vast areas which become impassible to warp travel and essentially cut off almost half the Federation from the rest. During the war the Klingon homeworld was occupied by the Romulans, all of Andoria was destroyed and the Vulcans, who were negotiating reunification with the Romulans, pulled out of the Federation. The setting may seem bleak and not very Trek-like, but that is where the show's hero Captain Alexander Chase comes in. Relegated to border patrol, Chase is determined to bring the Federation (and a ship called Enterprise) back to the glory days of seeking out new life and new civilizations.

There are some really interesting twists - for example the chief engineer of the ship "Mr. Zero" needs to wear an environmental suit to survive on the ship. There will also be a security team with some Borg technology.
The TrekMovie report contains more details and some artwork from the series in works.
The project is currently believed to be in a holding pattern until the release of the 11th Star Trek film in 2008.
I think opinion amongst Trek fans is going to be divided. In some ways, I still feel Enterprise should get another 3 seasons and to be finished off. An animated series would be interesting but should it be considered part of the Star Trek canon? Or perhaps this is a last desperate attempt to revive Star Trek?
Source
Hmm.. I actually like the idea, but if it had been carried out it would basically be Star Trek: Andromeda wouldn't it?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

....your right. It's just Andromeda with phaser and warp drive instead of anti-proton guns and slipstream.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sorry but it sounds like crap to me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

There is some concept art of it.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/ntas/chase1.jpg

not very impressive, not that great an amount of detail. other forums described it as 'Buck Rogers' back when it was breaking news.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, TBH I'm glad nothing has yet come to fruition of this.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

For some reason, I don't like the idea of animated Trek. I just wouldn't be able to take it seriously. Doesn't matter how "good" it was. For me, Trek will always need to be live action.

And yeah, this don't even sound good.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given this was in a holding pattern until the latest movie isn't this old news? Like real old? The Romulans had their balls ripped off in the Prime timeline.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:....your right. It's just Andromeda with phaser and warp drive instead of anti-proton guns and slipstream.
Well, I like the concept of Andromeda so maybe that's why I like the concept of this.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Don't get me wrong, I adore Andromeda. It had some gaping consistency holes and the storyline had some slightly whimsical elements, but I loved the show regardless.

But I could never watch this Animated version without seeing Andromeda in literally...everything. Except perhaps the omission of the Andromeda Ascendant herself.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

shran wrote:There is some concept art of it.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/ntas/chase1.jpg

not very impressive, not that great an amount of detail. other forums described it as 'Buck Rogers' back when it was breaking news.
Hmm. Is it just me or does that bloke look like the spitting image of Chris Pine?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, wow. I remember this from way back when.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I vaguely remember posting something about this or in another thread about this back when I first joined up on the forum....
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.